View RSS Feed

Halls of the Dark Muse

The Invisible Breaking Glass

Rate this Entry
I was sitting in the family room reading, when all of the sudden I heard the very distinct sound of a glass breaking. It sounded like it came from inside the kitchen, and presently I am the only one inside the house, and we have no house pets but for a snake which is contained. My first thought was either something fell, or becasue of the weather a glass might have popped due to temperature change.

I get up and walk into the kitchen and look around and I can find no sign of anything there having been broken. I even check inside the dishwasher and in the cupboards but there is nothing to indicate anything had broken anywhere. I than venture into the living room and walk around, but can still find no sign that something is broken, and while I am certain the sound came from that direction, just in case I walk all through the rest of the rooms in the house and find nothing anywhere. I know one time when I was in the care one of the windows completely shattered on its own, so I thought maybe something like that could have happened, but I checked all the windows and even mirrors in the house, and nothing broken.

And even though I am certain the sound was not something outside, it was not a very loud noise, so if it was something that happened far away it would not have been so clear and district, I opened the front door and peered outside, checked the hummingbird feeder we have, and checked the windows on the car in the driveway, as well as the windows on the car next door, which is parked on thier front lawn and is right next to our house, as well I gave a glance out to the backyard and checked the garage, but I can find no evidence of anything anywhere having broken and I cannot think what else could have caused that sound.

I thought maybe it could have been the ice maker, but it is currently off, plus I hear the ice maker all the time without ever thinking it is the sound of glass breaking, it does not make quite as sharp or clear a sound.

But this sound when I heard it, the very first thing which popped into my head, was that is strange, something just broke.
Categories
Beyond Reality

Comments

Interesting. Did you find out what it was? A tumbler in the cupboard perhaps? I often get woken from half sleep by things falling off shelves, probably complete sleep too but I can't remember that's what woke me up because I would have been asleep - only the next day when I discover something out of place.
    I hate when I distinctly hear something but cannot discover it!

Sometimes later I do, because I have cats and they occasionally knock things over that I only discover some time later.
    That could be considered slightly creepy and more than a touch frustrating. I often hear things like that when I am falling asleep, like that 'falling backwards' jolt that makes you jump straight off the bed and gets the adrenaline going so hard you can't fall back asleep. But I don't ever recall hearing things like that when I'm fully awake.
    Thus far nothing broken has been discovered anywhere. It certainly was quite strange and startled me when it first happened, but I am rather used to hearing and searing curious things. It makes things interesting.
    My hearing is horrid. I have learned by repettion that if I hear a neigborhood sound--if I THINK it is from one direction-invaraibly it's from the very OPPOSITE. Drives me crazy sometimes. When in doubt always blame a cat going thru the yard. (Yes--cat lover here none the less.)