View RSS Feed

Varenne Rodin

Regarding poetry reviews.

Rate this Entry
I have been asked multiple times recently why it is that I don't post more feedback on personal poems and stories. My answer is that there are days when I do, and there are days when I feel my mood may be too black or sarcastic to objectively give my opinion.

My thinking is that all writing should be encouraged because, even if it's terrible, it's practice for more writing. If I'm going to offer criticism, I want it to be supportive. I hope no one feels like I'm ignoring their work.

My other problem is that I am not well schooled in poetry. It seems the American English courses I took that included poetry put the emphasis on rhyming properly, and Shakespeare. I adore Shakespeare, but I hardly think this qualifies me as any type of authority on poetry.

The next question I get is why I don't submit my own poetry. I write best when I'm doing it conversationally and spontaneously. I want to have time and patience for editing, but I seldom do. I'm better with physical arts. Here is an example of what it would look like if I attempted a poem on the spot:

In pools of blue green algae,
it's stupid for you to be here,
soaking in your mistake.

Your dress is in a ruin
your hair is nasty matted,
you are floating on a lake.

I mean, it just doesn't work, does it? My imagination works in pictures. When I put the pictures in words, inadequacy is the result. Thank you for your patience with me as I participate very little in acts of written creativity.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

hehehe! I get what you're saying Varenne. Let me say, I don't want to discourage your writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonny
    hehehe! I get what you're saying Varenne. Let me say, I don't want to discourage your writing.
    Haha. Thank you, Vonny. That is much appreciated!
    Probably some people (like Mystery :p) just want you to post on their thread. They don't really care what you say.
    Could be. Could be. That particular guy doesn't seek to urge me to post, so maybe not him, but other people certainly are looking for attention from any source.
    That's not true Vonny - I actually get very annoyed when people post things just to ah annoy me.

I'm not sure Varenne, if you feel like writing write, if you feel like sharing share - there's no real 'having' to post something just for the sake of it. You should see my Wordpad folder - it's full of stuff, stuff which I decided at the last moment to keep to myself (sometimes not quite at the last moment too - and also things simply abandoned).

If you write something that works then it just comes down to choosing to share or not. Often I'm quite proud of my inventions, but after I post them - then what?

I don't really post my stuff for posterity (nor indeed
    prosperity!), but just because it's fun in a detached kind of way.

I mean I write for me first, if it appeals to someone else then that's a connection of sorts, and if it inspires someone to greatness Of Course I'll Take Some Credit. It doesn't cost much to do other than a bit of time (which I'm generally waiting for the computer to render something, or I'm procrastinating in some other capacity - both of which are presently true). If I've had a great day (or conversely a bad day, a hard day, a rotten stinking filthy day, or whatever sort of day) then I don't think: 'Ooh! Ooh! Gotta write something so it will make my day just that little bit better.' I write partly for keeping my hand in the writing sphere, partly to get something out of my system for refreshing-my-brain purposes (cheaper and more effective than alcohol, and without the hangover!)

Anyway, always keep a notebook handy just in case you stumble upon the perfect turn of phrase, or dream the perfect story
    Updated 11-26-2011 at 09:01 PM by MystyrMystyry
    Thank you, Mystyry. I do think your words inspire. I used to record story ideas on a pocket memo scriber when I was out and about. I might take that up again.