View RSS Feed

Rubaiyats of Lote-Tree

London's Burning in the Summer of Madness!

Rate this Entry

What can I say?

I am stunned!

This civilisation thing is just a thin veneer in humans and chaos can erupt in an instance.

It is always the minority though spoil it for the rest.

But no one should makes excuses for them.

These rioters and looters are not socially disfranchised. They were wearing latest gear from Nike and were Social Networking on their BlackBerries and Iphones. They are not the Have Nots! or the politically oppressed. These are mindless thugs!

And I hope for the first time in their life they are taught how to take responsibility for their actions...
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm afraid I don't think it is mindless thuggery. It's actually organized criminality. There was a time when they'd have read the riot act and shot 'em. Don't think they're allowed to do that any more...
    They can have these things and still feel disenfranchised. Lote. I'm not saying they are or they aren't, but I work with kids who sometimes have great tennies or and ipod and they often feel disenfranchised.

Not enough to riot yet, but that day could come.

I read an article that England's Prime Minister was in a social club in college and they would go to restaurants and break plates and glasses. They did leave payment for the owners before they left.

I guess the young of all social classes have a propensity for destruction.
    Updated 08-11-2011 at 08:51 PM by qimissung
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung
    I guess the young of all social classes have a propensity for destruction.
    There were a lot more adults than you'd think. Strangely, there were a lot of "normal" people that you'd see working "normal" jobs. I think PB even mentioned a social worker being arrested for something...
    If you read some of the articles linked off Virgil's page, it is reported that the demographics are greater than immigrant males or minorities under twenty.
    It was a generalization, which means there is some truth to it, but generalizations, in general , are not intended to be factual in nature, but to speak to larger truths. It was something for Lote to think about, but thank you, Juniper and jersea, for your input.

I'm curious, did either of you even bother to read the sentence that came before it? As much as it's referring to the young, it's referring to David Cameron's own actions which were remarkably similar to those of the rioters and which makes anything he has to say about it somewhat hypocritical:

http://boingboing.net/2010/05/11/pri...ter-camer.html
    Updated 08-14-2011 at 10:26 PM by qimissung