View RSS Feed

The Education of J.H.S.

Oh, I Can't Think Of A Title! Is It Really Important?

Rate this Entry
I'm just gonna use bullets, I think.

• I think I like poetry.
  • I try to read poetry. I don't do a very good job. This makes me very sad. When I see what other people come up with when they read poetry, I find myself thinking that their way of viewing poetry is very odd.
  • The other day I went to poetry group. This guy said he didn't like this poem cause it needed a metaphor. This other guy (very intelligent, in my opinion) made him look kind of silly when he proved that the poem already had metaphors. It made me realize that I don't even know what a metaphor is really. I don't think about metaphors when I'm writing. I just...write. I think that's a mess.
  • Writing prompts seem silly to me.
  • I'm not a good reader. I've not read a lot. I'm not a good communicator. But I think my poems are pretty good. In fact, I won't post them online because I think that someday, they may get published. Isn't that silly?
  • Perhaps my problem is that I'm too willing to be vague.
  • I've bought a lot of poetry books in the past year. I try to read as much of them as I can (I could do way better). But I love avant-garde stuff, like this anthology, "American Hybrid". I also have books by poets like Rae Armantrout, Matthea Harvey, and Rachel Zucker.
  • I'm working on a poem with the word "zombie" in it. I really admire the when poets infuse their poems with very contemporary issues or diction. Though, I would have to say it doesn't really fit my work at this point. I'm working on it. Becoming more...weird, I guess? Is that a valid goal?
  • In my junior year of high school, we had these blue folders with poems our teacher had xeroed and collected. Whitman, Dickinson, Stevens, Eliot, Brooks, Plath, Lowell, Cummings. Don't remember a lot about what we studied. Though I love the couplet from "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock".
  • Somehow, my readings of poetry have become very tied into the philosophies of Wittgenstein and Heidegger. I don't have the mental facilities to understand these philosophies, though they seem to be very important to a lot of the poets I read.
  • I sometimes feel suffocated by the poetry that's been written and is being written in my region. "Place" is very important to this poetry. I'm not sure I have much invested in this place.
  • I love reading poems out loud. A few people have said they think I have a talent for it. Of course, I once got a comment back on a poem that the only advice they could give me was to "read normally". It really upset me.
  • Gertrude Stein seems very important to me.
  • I would love to be able to give better critiques in poetry group. The group pretty much is made of people who somewhat know what they are doing...so we don't get to talk about these kinds of things. I don't know how to help people fix their poems. I don't believe in one way to write poetry. And I can't make other people's poems into my kind of poem. Then it wouldn't be theirs. That's just silly, right?
  • I have a lot of trouble with the Beats and New York School. Also, Dean Young and Tony Hoagland and a host of younger poets I feel are influenced by them. I feel these writers are very important to me and poets I admire. Maybe I just don't get comedy. Maybe I don't get the absurd.
  • I worry about this stuff a lot. This morning, I woke up and realized my mind was already turned to poetry.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Please, feel free to ask me to explain or elaborate. In fact, feel free to ask me anything. Maybe I'll discover something useful.
    Zombie is what I chosen to be.
    In a zombie state when I wake from
    dead of sleep.
    Which I a rise from depth of the deep.
    The blanket which is throw from me.
    So I stretch with my zombie body to become a person.

I can some time writing a poem with just one word or phrase which I done lots. Sometimes it can themes poems which relate to 2 or more poems.

It all depends on me on the day.

Maybe have think of writing story or doing something different, sometime when you a least expect idea or begin of a poem to come. It pop in out of nowhere.
    Updated 06-03-2011 at 03:53 AM by zoolane (missing word)