View RSS Feed

title

Matthew’s Eye Surgery

Rate this Entry
As many of you know, Matthew has strabismus (crossed eyes) and his surgery to correct this is tomorrow. It will be done in the morning and should be home later that day. We have to be at the hospital at 8:00 AM and the poor little guy can’t have anything to eat after midnight tonight and can’t have anything to drink after 6:00 AM the morning of the surgery. If I do give him something to drink it can only be water, pedialyte or apple juice.

The surgery itself usually takes 20 – 40 minutes. Matthew will be put under general anesthesia. We will be with him up until the operation. I have told Virgil that I will be the one to accompany Matthew into the operating room. The wait will be nerve wracking and I am sure Virgil will wear out the floor with his pacing back and forth. I on the other hand will probably keep looking at my watch every 5 minutes.

Once the surgery is over the surgeon (who is also Matthew’s ophthalmologist) will come out and tell us how the surgery went and then take us to see our little guy. We’ll stay with him until they tell us we can go home.

We have been told that it is possible that Matthew will need more than one surgery but we won’t know until the first surgery is completed and go for a follow up in 2 weeks.

I will try to post an update either tomorrow night or over the weekend.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck! Try not to stress too much- I am sure it will turn out fine.
    I'm glad you will be keeping us posted. Little guy~ I hope the recovery is easy on him. I hope the surgery is easy on you I know it's nerve wracking when they put you child under. It's hard not to think of every horrible thing that could happen BUT WONT
    I can only repeat what has been said. He is strong and healthy and he has good doctors. I'm sure everything will be fine!
    Have him the doctors give him some Versed before he goes in if he's nervous. That stuff is awesome--trust me, I know. The only downside is it makes waking up take a little longer, but if he is really nervous, it's probably worth it.

Good luck with it all.
    Thank you all. Keeping fingers, legs, and toes crossed.
    God bless you and little Matthew. He looks to be a strong child and I am sure he will come through this just fine. I will be praying hard for his recovery. I hope he will only need the one surgery. I am glad to know you have a good opthomologist who is a surgeon. Nowdays these operations are so advanced. My heart if with you though. I know this has to be difficult. Please do let us know how it goes.
    Looking forward to hearing how the operation goes.
    All the best, Pussnboots and Virgil.

Speedy recovery
    I’m sure it will be a successful operation. I’ll be praying for Matthew.
    Thanks for sharing these details with us.
    We've been home for 2 hours and Matthew is sound asleep.
    The surgeon said the operation went very well but to be honest I don't remember much of what he said.

Matthew was such an excellent patient. It was actually quite funny watching him get drowsy by the medication they gave him prior to the surgery.

They let me carry him into the operating room and I stayed with him until he fell asleep.

The staff was very nice to Matthew, Mommy and Daddy.

We go back in 2 weeks for a follow-up with the opthamologist and he'll go over the operation with us once again.

Thanks for all the well wishes!!!
    Oh thank God he is doing fine and it was not as traumatic as one would think. I am glad he just fell off to sleep and I am sure he has no idea what then happened to him. Keep us informed. I pray for his rapid progress. He is such an adorable little guy.
    Good news! Good news to hear.
    I'm glad to hear it's all gone well. I hope he's back on fighting form soon.
    I'm glad it went well. I'm sure you are both still sighing with relief.
    Thank you everyone. Yesterday after the operation he mostly cried, not so much from the pain I think but from the disorientation of the anesthesia. Today he was his usual self. His eyes are a little swollen and there is red in the whites. But he was his usual jovial self.
    Glad it went well. It's probably more stress for you two, he won't even remember the surgery.
    It's amazing how fast kids will bounce back from these things. I think OrphanPip is right - probably more frightneing and stressful for the parents. I am so glad he is doing well today. Does he have to take drops or anything for the swelling and the redness?
    Updated 03-20-2011 at 08:42 PM by Janine
    No drops Janine. I have to smear this Vaseline type creme into his eyes when he's asleep for five nights.