View RSS Feed

the ocean always dreamed blue dreams

Day Three

Rate this Entry
So we are out a third day, all because the temperature is below freezing. What luck!

I painted this afternoon; I would really like to post my stuff, but I don't know how. Maybe I can get someone to help me tomorrow.

On other news fronts, I turned off my heater this morning just to give it a rest and it took most of the day to warm up the living room. Someone suggested that I flip the switch on my ceiling fan then turn it on. D'oh!!!! My living room, while still cool, has gone from frigid to livable.

I watched "The Hangover" this evening. Personally I think that Ken Jeong is brilliant. The scene where he leaps out of the trunk onto that guys neck-priceless.

OK, off to bed
, then another day of bliss. I could get used to this. And I really, really think I deserve to win the lottery and retire young. Anyone who agrees with me, vote here.

G'night.

Update: It's snowing. I looked outside before going to bed and lo! there was at least an inch of snow and it's still softly falling. I went for a walk. Who knows when I'll get to see it again. I love snow. Here's a beautiful song for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgfXp5M02M

Updated 02-04-2011 at 03:10 AM by qimissung

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You are in a holiday mood . Enjoy!

I would love to see your paintings.
    What is going on back home!!!?
    Each time I call home, I hear that school was out for yet another day. Your posts also help to keep me informed.
    So cabin fever hasn't set in yet?

RE: Paintings:
    I can try to help you with getting a viewable internet version.
    Do you have a digital camera? If so, I can help you with that method if you like.
    Is the painting small enough to fit on a scanner?

Let me know.

BTW - just to one up you, we had about 14 inches of snow fall during the recent blizzard.
    You Texans are wimps.

G
    Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. We had some pretty severe weather in December, but it's all been much more temperate since January. Usually when NY gets snow, the UK usually gets it a few days after, but there's nothing forecast here over the next week or so.

Teachers though, huh? One flake of snow and the school is closed

Hope you're having fun
    Not only am I voting for you to win the lottery but I'm including this link http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/01/ff_lottery/all/1 to an article about how someone cracked the supposedly random code...
    Ah, thank you, Prince. That was an interesting article. Why does it not surprise me that the lottery is not as random as they would have us believe? Or that the majority of people who buy tickets are the ones making the least money.

Thank you, Maddie for stopping by. I am enjoying myself. I'm sitting here, looking out my backdoor. It is still snowing, although the front itself has moved on to the north. It is gorgeous.

I didn't know that about weather fronts, Fifth. They hit NY first, then the UK? I would have thought it was the other way around, or that they had little to do with each other. I didn't realize they were so connected. I guess they are both near bodies of water, and that does play a part in how snow forms, I know.

Yes, the people who run the education system are wimps. I know that's what you meant to say, right? And isn't that wonderful? We want to keep the kiddies safe after all.

While we had no snow AT ALL, initially, Gilliatt. What we had was sleet, and ice and cold. The temperature has hovered at around 19 degrees so nothing is melting. I knew this was in the forecast on Monday, but honestly when I went home that night I thought we'd get one day out of it maybe. But each day it stayed so cold,and I would check the wfaa website about 5 p.m. and there it would be. Dallasisd-closed. And on and on. I noticed that snow was in the forecast for Friday, but I didn't believe it!

Oh, I do have a printer that scans. Let me see what I can do; if I can't get it today I let you know. Not that my pictures are all that great.
    Updated 02-04-2011 at 03:58 PM by qimissung
    I feel like we've been out of school for months. I don't remember what day we are on. It's snowing and more snow is in the forcast. I've cooked and cleaned and worked on school stuff. I love being at home, but I'm ready to go back to school.
    We've gotten about 5 inches here-peanuts to the rest of the country, I know, Mother Hubbard.

You know I didn't bring home any work. That's how little I thought we would be out. It just didn't occur to me. I don't have that much grading to do, but I do have some planning I should do. Maybe tomorrow.
    It's been an epic snowfall here too, we got more in one day than we usually do in the entire month of March. I turned on my car to heat it up, and almost died because there was too much snow on top of, around and underneath the car to let the fumes escape. It seems to be everywhere, the poor blossoms on the Vancouver coast even got a bit of powder yesterday.
    You almost died, Juniper???? When did you realize you needed to turn the car off or open the window??? Good God, what a story!I saw the pictures of your snow. Yours was epic. Ours was ordinary. It was unprecedented that we got four days off work. Not only unprecedented, but awesome, in my opinion.
    I'll agree with awesome and add that there is more in the forcast for us. we got 4 or 5 inches more yesterday and last night. More tomorrow, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thrusday. After all of this time off I don't know how I'll teach all the way to spring break in March!
    Boy, if it even snows for half those days that would be awesome. The kids are sure not going to be in the mood for school when we get back, are they, hehe?

Snow is in the forecast here for Sunday and Wednesday, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    They may all forget how to read! I hate that, I had planned on moving 6 kids up in reading groups. I started the year with 11/21 students reading below grade level. Right now I have only 2 who are not at grade level. I hope I don't see any regression.
    That would be very disappointing. And discouraging. I have seniors. They only work until April, anyway. I also have juniors that I am trying to prepare for the state-mandated assessment AND the AP exam. I'm trying to focus on the AP exam Now I've lost a week for that, and will have to start with the other when we get back. I've got a lot to cram in and they are somewhat resistant to most of it.

Say, you said you spent x amount of time with them each week teaching them reading and writing skills. Is that you, or you and the other teachers across the curriculum? I guess I'm asking how your program works.
    Congratulations, also. It sounds like you're doing a superb job your first year teaching.
    Five inches and temperature just below freezing and they shut you down for three days? Wimps is right. All I know is that the news keeps interviewing Green Bay and Pittsburgh fans down your way for the supper bowl and they're in short sleeves and Bermuda shorts calling all you Texans ****ies.

Very pretty song Qimi.
    I have a literacy block that is about 2 1/2 hours long. I pull small groups while the rest work independently. Additionally our district sets aside 45 minutes a day four days a week for intervention. Higher kids go to large group and low kids are in small group reading. I hope that answers your question. Thanks. I wouldn't say I'm superb, but the program is great.
    Haha, when I started to get really drowsy and nauseous I was like "I should rest my eyes and listen to the news, I'm still sleepy... no wait! I think it's the fumes!" And opened my door. Sure enough as soon as I was out of the car I got a headrush and perked right up. I didn't even realize that there was that much smoke in the car until I saw it pouring out of the open door.
    Updated 02-06-2011 at 02:54 AM by JuniperWoolf