View RSS Feed

jhonerliz

My Mission

Rate this Entry
I am a teacher. Therefore, my missions are to teach my students and mold them to be better individuals.

But that was my perception before until I met Chinamae. Chinamae is my student.

One day, she approached me and ask me if she can be my laundrywoman. I was really shocked with her question and I asked her why. And then I learned from her that she was already the breadwinner of her family. Her father already left them. And she has a baby sister that's why her mother can't work for a living. So all the responsibilities are already left on her shoulder. She was washing clothes every 6 in the evening in one their family's friends and paid her 50 pesos.

I didn't want to leave her that time without an assurance that she can have an extra work. So after my work hours, we went to my previous private school and asked the director and principal if she can work in their school even as a janitress. I also asked my co-teachers if they can give a work to my poor student but she was unlucky.

Being bothered with her situation, I offered her some little help. I told her that she can eat her lunch with me everyday (for sometimes, she and her family can't eat three times a day). I also told her that I can give her 20 pesos everyday. But she needs to help me in recording my quizzes, tests, etc. I also told her that I can support her studies.

The next day, we ate lunch together and she helped me in some of my paper works. She was very thankful to me and was very happy because 20 pesos for her is a big help.

Chinamae is now included in my mission: To assure that she can eat even once a day and can have a little extra money from me. I will not leave Chinamae until I see she graduate in her studies.

Sometimes, we are just focusing ourselves in our work. But situation will bring us into a realization that we have many missions in our life to be done or to be fulfilled.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

She is lucky to have you for a teacher.
    Wow you sound like wonderful and care teacher. I wish had teacher who support when I was school in not money but studies.
    How old is Chindamae? Can you possible direct her to an agency that can help them?

Whether or not that is possible, I am so glad she found you! You are such a good person, jhonerliz. Thank you for making her world a little less lonely.
    Thanks pren, zoolane ang gimissung.

Chinamae is already 16 years old but still in her 1st Year High School (grade 7 i think in other regions). She and her family is really poor that's why she dropped many times in her schooling.
    honestly your the only teacher that I've hear of that has ever tried to help a student without making impossible demands, or making the student feel bad about themself. The school I attend is so messed up but reading this helped me realize that I shouldn't let people keep me down when there are other people going through the same thing or worse and are still fighting to make it....... So thank you!!!!
    yes, I'm glad that my blog helped you realized that we should not feel bad if you are encountering the same thing. Just be contended because we are luckier comparing to others.