View RSS Feed

A Mirror Floating in Water

Untitled

Rate this Entry
The mark of past tense verb
Tis' a scar that affects our life-line verse
And even the trite small-talk under blue skies.

When everything is under-sea
Painted with a white landscape
Of non-time, non-memory
Those moments we forget
Become the futures neglect.

So silent a lake-pond spring is
In the summer it is almost rancid
But in winter it is frozen deep into tedium
And atoms hibernate in stillness.
An easy way to leave,—

But time is our father's present
And our mother is our memory
While you yourself are empty space.

Is there a way for spring to swing the seasons
So that it need no frost of winters bite nor
Uncivil clutter of summer's stifling disease?

May we pray to the skies so that they leave us no sign of sun
Or smell or rain?

Or the mathematical formula of the gods is too apocryphal for the skin of mortals to soak into?
May the rest be silence.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I didn't know how to finish it off so I stole from Hamlet, though I'm still somewhat ambivalent about it.
    I enjoyed this poem. . . quite a bit, actually. I think the poem peaks with this stanza:

So silent a lake-pond spring is
    In the summer it is almost rancid
    But in winter it is frozen deep into tedium
    And atoms hibernate in stillness.
    An easy way to leave,—

The language here is balanced on a single image, the water, with the sway of human reflection adjusting its focus on the image. Wow -- that was a complicated and flowery sentence, but I think it articulates what I liked about the stanza.

On a lesser note -- I didn't love the stanza with the phrase "winter's bite" which seemed a little cliche. But this is a small nit-pick.

It's good to see you posting in the blogs again.
    I can't say I understand it, but I have to say the language and poetry is outstanding. Your control of the language is right on Daniel.
    The language is quite beautiful, although with Virgil I don't quite get it. All the stanzas are beautiful, but I like the ones best starting with the third one.

Good one, Daniel.
    @Comedian: Thank you so much for your criticism! I am always flattered when people write about my work lol so thank you. And you are totally write about the last few stanzas and the cliches. I suppose ending with "empty space" felt too nihilistic to me, though it may have been the better and more subtle choice.

@Virgil and qimi: Thanks you guys! Again I am quite flattered. And don't worry if you don't get it, it's better that way
    Updated 10-28-2010 at 01:26 AM by DanielBenoit
    I agree!