View RSS Feed

andave's place

Frankenstein

Rate this Entry
Just curious...what do you think about him? I'm reading him for Western Lit II currently, and writing a paper on it. I read it over the summer and enjoyed it, but now upon rereading...I think Victor Frankenstein is a melodramatic jerk.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

PS - I got an A on my first Latin test!!
    I loved the novel. I can't remember if Victor was a jerk or not. Congrats on the Latin test. Hmm, you just reminded me of Anza. I wonder whatever happened to her.
    A little off topic, but why do you have to take Latin? This is for your BA, right? And congratulations on the A.
    Well you know what I think of him. Hamlet and he are probably ancestors. Only really cared about ELizabeth, Clerval and Justine--the innocents totally unaware of the tragedy that will end their peaceful lives without warning. Victor just can;t stick to anything and make it effective. I change my mind about it every decade. When I was youger highly annoyed it wasn't more like Boris Karloff but as I grew older the horror and LONLINESS of the characters is horrible in its own right.
    I haven't yet read Frankenstein. I could never bring myself around to it after thinking about the fact that Mary's husband was in cahorts with Byron, and whenever I start to read it, my mind travels down the path of the great literary threesome indulging in lavish threesomes. I'm crazy.
    Hey L.M! Here at my school we are required to take a language, and because I am a literature major, I have to take a classical language - either Latin or Greek. Thank you!

1n50mn14 - *snicker* The irony is that I go to an extreme right-wing, Christian college :P.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    I would agree that Frankenstein is melodramatic. He seems to be very wrapped up in selfish desires and is completely lost in his own emotions. These emotions also make him seem mentally ill.