View RSS Feed

OrphanPip

Back home from the hospital.

Rate this Entry
Well it was a quick 36ish hours in the hospital. Everything went well without much complication. The surgeon accidentally pinched a piece of my tongue wiring my jaw shut, so I woke up with my tongue stuck to a side of my mouth and ended up fighting to rip out my tongue and leaving a little piece of it behind with the teeth. Anyway, I kind of feel like crap now that I've been off the morphine pump for a little bit, but while I was in the hospital the pain was minimal, and it was mostly just boring and uncomfortable. It's still kind of difficult to move, every little bit I shift my body seems to put some sort of strange pressure on my jaw. Good news was there was no oozing or pus present after surgery, and the swelling is apparently not the worse they've seen. My recovery was relatively fast and I finally got some movement back in my lips today, at first they were so swollen I just barely get them open enough to get a straw in. I'm still spilling half of what I drink all over myself, but straws are no longer required.

Worse of all, I look like a young Churchill with all this swelling, and I'm carrying a pad and paper at all time because no one can understand me. Gah.

For the next week I'm on penicillin, codeine, what I think is a chlorahexadine rinse for my mouth, an anti-inflammatory for the swelling, and an annoying icepack that only stays frozen for like 30 minutes in this weather). I'm only allowed water, juice from concentrate, and nutrient replacement fruit drinks from Boost for the first week so that nothing gets stuck in the surgical wounds. After that I can eat anything that can be turned to liquid in a blender.

I'm thinking my mouth is going to be incredibly gross after 6 weeks of only using mouth wash.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Glad to hear it went well. I'm sure it will pass quickly. What's a week? It'll be Christmas soon - according to my speeded time forties clock.

As I was reading I kept glancing at your avatar of Bowie clutching his face, and I though it most appropriate for the present.
    I'm glad it went well and that you're home. Speedy recovery to you O-P.
    Good to hear you are recovering, Pip.

Enjoy the medication!

PS: How long are you off?
    Glad to hear that all went well. Take care of yourself Pip :)
    Was it just a little chunk of your tongue that you lost??? Somehow I find that part worrisome. Do you have someone to check on you, or help, or just hang out with? I hope so.

Anyway, go slow getting out and about and take care of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung
    Was it just a little chunk of your tongue that you lost??? Somehow I find that part worrisome. Do you have someone to check on you, or help, or just hang out with? I hope so.

Anyway, go slow getting out and about and take care of yourself.
    It doesn't feel like a very big chunk, feels more like I've bitten it quite hard, it's swollen and a bit painful this morning, it could be bruised. It's frustrating because I can't see anything, everything is so swollen I can't even get a look at the stitches in the back of my mouth. And ya, I have my parents and my brother, we all live very close to each other in an unhealthy extended relationship. I couldn't avoid them if I wanted to.

@Sheh

I'm planning to take it off for all 5-6 weeks I'm wired, yay for labour laws that protect my job.

@Everyone thanks for the well wishes.
    Poor Pip! Get fixed soon and take care of yourself! (((hug)))
    You must be starving. I bet your stomach hurts too, with all of those pills and no food. Poor Pip.