View RSS Feed

OrphanPip

Surgery, surgery, surgery

Rate this Entry
I just felt like announcing a biggish event in my life. Anyway, all my life I've had somewhat of a problem with my jaw, being born with a severe under-bite and misalignment tilted upper jaw that makes it difficult for me to chew food properly and I get regular jaw pain/head aches.

So, after a long while of preparation, and saving up for bills, on Wednesday I will be going in to have the jaw surgery performed to fix my jaw problems. I'm a little worried because this will change the structure of my face, making my chin less pronounced, and I'm not having the surgery done for aesthetic reasons.

Otherwise, except for some extra pre-op services I paid the surgeon for, the surgery (at whopping 20k) is covered by medicare luckily. The surgery is supposed to be short and low risk, but I opted for an older method that is quicker and involves less risk of nerve damage. The downside of this method is that it also requires a longer period of healing, and having the jaw wired. The way I look at it is, it's better to have my mouth stuck shut for a few weeks than a life of permanent paralysis in my face.

So, wish me luck everyone. If I don't post after Friday in the coming week, I died in surgery .
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good luck, Pip!

How do you eat with your jaw wired shut?
    Is that misalignment TMJ? In any event, good luck!
    All the best, Pip.

Will be looking for your posts on Friday
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung
    Is that misalignment TMJ? In any event, good luck!
    That could be a problem later on in life if the misalignment isn't corrected. Right now when I close my mouth, the teeth on the right size touch and the ones on the left don't. My brother recently had to go to the dentist because the enamel on one of his back teeth had been worn away by favoring one side, those are the kind of problems I hope to avoid.

Edit: Also, thank you everyone.

@Jun: Apparently, you're able to open your mouth like half an inch, and I have to live off a liquid diet.
    Good luck Pip, though I'm sure you don't need it. They're good at that kind of stuff.

I hope the healing goes well.
    Well back about 1978 or 79 my clerk Joyce (who will be forever famous for encouraging me to ask the future Long Suffering Spouse out on a date) had HER jaw fixed with much the same conditions oyu have. Yes the wires were uncomfortable for her and she drank a lot of fluids but it was all good in the end. I seem to recall 4-6 weeks wired up--not sure.
    My roommates's bf is having the same surgery done! Sounds very invasive, but worth it for the long term benefits.

Best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtpspur
    I seem to recall 4-6 weeks wired up--not sure.
    Ya that's the amount of time I was told too. I expect it to not be that bad after the first week. Apparently, the swelling and pain immediately after the surgery is the worst part.
    Good Luck Pip.
    Good luck, Pip. I am sure the surgery will make you even more good-looking.
    Good luck Pip and take care of yourself. If nothing else, you have an excuse to eat nothing but shakes for a while ;)
    All the best for your surgery, Pip!
    Absolutely wish you the best O-P. I'll be loking foward to seeing you back.
    Good luck
    Thanks everyone.
    Good luck and may the force be with you!
    Good luck Pip, I hope it goes well.

My step-son had surgery on his nose a few years ago which was for medical reasons (the cartilege was twisted and it was causing sleep apnoea) which also had a cosmetic effect. The difference was noticeable but minor, so perhaps yours will be too.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.