View RSS Feed

OrphanPip

The end of the playoffs for Montreal

Rate this Entry
Oh it was a wild ride for the Habs this season. They barely made the playoffs, squeaking by with a single point gained in a tie game against Toronto. They came back from behind to beat the top seeded team in the league, the Washington Capitals. When things were looking bad again they managed a second come from behind victory against the defending Stanley Cup champions, the Pittsburgh Penguins.

In the end, they were crushed in 5 games by the Philadelphia Flyers, the 7th seeded team. Much like the Habs this year, the Flyers were also had a wild ride, coming back to win an amazing 4 games in a row against Boston after losing the first 3 of the series.

So, the playoff finals this year will be between Chicago and Phillie. Chicago has been a much more solid team season long, and I'm pretty confident they'll take the cup. Phillie is ripe for an upset though.

On another note, hockey is practically a religion in Montreal. The city shut down for every single one of Montreal's Playoff games. Game 7 of the Pittsburgh series was broadcast live in the Bell Centre to a sold out crowd. That's right, they were able to cell out the arena just to watch it on TV. (This raised something like 5 million for charity as well)

The Habs are by far the most successful franchise in the NHL, having won nearly a quarter of Stanley Cup finals. It would be nice to bring Lord Stanley's Cup back home to where it originally came from over 100 years ago. I was 6 years old when the Habs last won the cup. I'm still relatively young, so hopefully I'll get to see them win at least one more cup in my lifetime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD5pc...eature=related

Edit: This short film about a mix up over a hockey sweater is based on a very influential short story.

The story is quoted on the back of the Canadian five dollar bill.

"Nous vivions en trois lieux : l’école, l’église et la patinoire; mais la vraie vie était sur la patinoire." - We lived in three places: the school, the church, and the skating rink; but our real life was on the skating rink.

Updated 05-27-2010 at 07:34 PM by OrphanPip

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I see you wrote your as promised sports blog!
    I know nothing about hockey.
    hehe, I just had to check you and discovered you are correct. The Habs have the most Stanely Cup wins by far. They have 23, followed (in a distant second) by the Leafs with 13 and the Wings with 11.