View RSS Feed

Exiled in a kilt

Moving away

Rate this Entry
So I am one week away from being on a plane to dublin (stupid ash cloud permitting) I have sorted everything for the journey and just need to go through my clothes and whittle it down to one case of not more than 20kgs.

I finished work one week ago, and it hit me for the first time how close I was to leaving on monday when I woke up and found I didnt have a job to go into. That was a wierd feeling. I enjoyed my job, it was the best job I have ever had - but I am ecstatic in the knowledge that I am trading a job for a life. Getting to know niamh over the past year has been wonderful, every day I find another reason why having her in my life is such a better proposition than the alternative.

Still though it is with some sorrow that I leave this country for a while. I may be Scottish by birth and heritage and spent my formative years there, but this country (and this town in particular) feels more like home to me than glasgow did on my last visit. Glasgow is now just a stepping stone from my past where family are but Kincardine will be the place I have pangs in my heart for.

A return here in a few years would be brilliant and is the current plan. I daydream on a regular basis of me and niamh together here. However, life has a way of changing and turning, so long as I am with niamh I could live in a cave for all I care.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Kilted
    However, life has a way of changing and turning, so long as I am with niamh I could live in a cave for all I care.
    Nuff said!

Wish you all the best!
    New beginnings are so exciting. We always forget that with something new, we have to leave behind something old. I think you and Niamh will do very well together.
    I liked "trading a job for a life." I hate to tell you, my friend, but I think Niamh has already eaten all of the cream eggs.
    I enjoyed my job, it was the best job I have ever had - but I am ecstatic in the knowledge that I am trading a job for a life.
    That is a GREAT quote and the one Scher highlighted is very good too. Best wishes to you both. Are you keeping your house in Canada? I seemed to remember you owned a house. If you can rent it, it might pay for most of the mortgage.
    anyone else getting ads for tartans and kilts? 6 days to go!
    All the best for the future ahead.