View RSS Feed

title

backward graduation weekend part 1

Rate this Entry
I started this Friday, but there was a storm and I lost it when the power went out. Now I think I'll do this in parts like my friend Rich

I've been crying all week. I finished college and Graduation was Saturday. I keep thinking about the sacrifice that my family has made. It's not the big things, but all of the little things. I tried to stay on top of motherhood and school work, but I always felt like everything depended on my performance. I felt like I was juggling sharp objects while standing on a ball. If I had messed that up I would have been left holding nothing. I think it's been hard on my family. But, I'm sure we will all enjoy the money come fall I just hope that the sacrifice wasn't greater than the income. None of us place a huge value on money, but it will be nice to have some.

My mom has bronchitis again, and is in the hospital. She went from work to the ER on Friday and was admitted. I think she'll come home today, but I also thought she would go home yesterday. She'll be fine, and she hasn't had a cigarette since last Sunday.

Bailey wanted to go hang out at the coffee shop with her friends, one of whom is a love interest. I needed to get groceries and go see my mom at the hospital she she was allowed to visit while I took care of these things. When I got to the hospital my mom was asleep on her side in her hospital gown giving me a nice view of her back. To my surprise she has a tattoo on her shoulder! She and dad had talked about getting matching tats, but I didn't think they really would. Well, they did. I'm not being judgmental here, I just don't like them. It's fine with me if you have one and I hope you always love it. I can't tell you how I felt in that moment when I saw her tattoo. I guess I felt backwards. I think that it's usually the parents shocked by the child's tattoo, not the other way around. Anyway, the color was so bright and pretty. They looked like they would smear. When I touched them I was kind of surprised that they felt like regular skin. I went to school with the guy who did them. He was such a stoner, but a nice guy.

Bailey called while I was there to check in. She was listening to a Cat Stevens record and having a good time. She's such a good girl.

After getting groceries I went to get Bailey. I had NPR on the radio and Pink Floyd was playing and I enjoyed it. Again I had this backward feeling. My parents got matching tattoos, my 15 year old daughter was listening to Cat Stevens, and I still knew the words to Pigs on the Wing.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The world is topsy turvey, but at least it's not going to end! This was adorable. You mom sounds like a character. She reminds me of Susan Sarandon who proudly displayed her tat on the Late Show.

As for graduation: Congratulations! School is a job in and of itself. No wonder you felt you were juggling knives on a ball. You kinda were.

Now for the job: I got to stay home when my kids were young. I did not accomplish half the things you have with the chickens and all that, but I enjoyed watching my kids grow. It's true that when you get one thing, you have to give up something else. Hopefully it will work. Your children are not babies any longer and they can do some things. You probably don't have a long commute through city traffic and smog, so that's a plus. You will be busier and only you can decide if it's worth it in the long run.

Just remember to take some time for yourself, to be calm and still in life's whirlwind, to remember the important things in life (people, family) and you will be OK. And I know you can do that.
    I am not a parent nor have I lived very long (I'm only 18) but a parent once told me (and I will transfer this generalization to all of life) that the reason why parenting (and life) is so hard and often goes awry is because we go in having certain expectations about it that just arent true and consequently freak out. Things in life are rarely what you'd expect, and that's why fact is often stranger than fiction.
    Updated 05-17-2010 at 09:34 PM by Cunninglinguist
    That's about like the time that I started telling my dad, "Could you please turn that down?"
    That is a wee bit topsy turvy, but kind of puts in perspective how unrealistic our expectations of who people are and what they will do in their lives are. Congratulations on graduating!
    This is a momentous occassion in your life and well worth the celebrating. Families sacrifice for the greater good of each other and their loved ones--there is no shame in that or cause for weeping. You are a very kind hearted lady and it shows. Your family will always be there for oyu. Congraulations and God's blessings to you.
    Qim- you are wise and kind. I want to be more like you!

Cunning- Life is never what I expect it to be. It's thrilling and exciting and very enjoyable, which I expect, but the details are always suprising.

Bien- What's up with these "old" people? I'll remind mom how much she enjoys knitting, maybe that will calm the motorcycle momma in her. She's actually planning another tattoo.

1- thank you. People are interesting!

Rich- Thanks for such kindness.
    For some reason it does not shock me that Granny has a tattoo ;) A fresh one... I'm a bit more surprised by that. I'll never be ashamed to admit that I love tattoos. I've been plotting my back piece for ages now, and I can't wait until I'm finally able to get it.

Life is a little backwards, and I don't think it has ever quit feeling that way. Things were so strange feeling after I finished school. I had a lot of the same worries, being concerned about if all the work had been worth it. It's settled, but there is a whole lot of craziness that came with it. Different craziness, but I still always feel like I'm behind on things or I don't have enough time.
    Meg, mom didn't have any tattoos before. This is her first. I think that adds to the shock.
    Nope, that just makes me smile more :D My own dad has been talking about getting one for years... ever since I came home with one. I figure one of these days he just might do it.

One thing I've noticed is more older people in general getting them. They wanted them when they were younger, but there was much more of stigma for having them 30-40 years ago. I know for me it is nice to be able to indulge, within reason, without other baggage along. Not that I figure that would have stopped me. They were not as popular when I got mine, and I still can't go and get full sleeves or anything.
    You see, they never wanted one. They were very anti Tattoo! I think it's kind of sweet. They got their names and anniversary in some roses. It's not exactly funny, but it makes me laugh a little and smile. I was just suprised!
    That's just cute :D I draw the line at names. Except for the kids names. I figure I'll have their names on my back when I do the back piece.
    You have a lovely family MH and you should be every proud of them all!
    I cant believe G5 and Pops got a tat! go them! I'm not big on Tats myself and i can only imagine the reaction i'd give if it was my mam and dad!
    I hope G5 gets well soon!
    Congrats on the Graduation!
    Mom-H, you did good. It's not easy juggling a family and going to college. I'm so happy for you. Congratulations.

And Granny has a tattoo? Are you sure she doesn't mind you telling us? You may have gotten yourselfg into some hot water.