View RSS Feed

Life in a small town.

Brian and Me

Rate this Entry
Over thirty years ago, on Top of the Pops, I first heard the pop group Queen. What first struck me was not the spangley over the top outfits, (believe me they were tame for the day.) No, it was the fact that they were using grown up words and references- they were assuming that we teenagers knew stuff.

She keeps her Moet et Chandon in a pretty cabinet
Let them eat cake, she said, just like Marie Antoinette.

Ok, so they were wrong- we hadn't a clue, but still eh.

Then came a guitar solo, a simple thing played by a big-haired bloke in a white suit. He was actually treating his guitar as a musical instrument, rather than a stage prop penis. At the end of the solo, the notes both swelled and decended into a strange crecendo. Wanna try? Sang Freddie. Interesting.

I wasn't hooked, but I was interested. Eventually I bought Sheer Heart Attack, it was good, in fact it was very good. I began to follow them.

The guitarist was Brian May.
He could've been an Astro-Physicsist, but decided to be a rock guitarist instead. (How cool is that!)
He made his own guitar out of his dad's coffee table. (Pretty cool!)
He wears clogs! (Ok not so cool but you can't have everything.)
He married Angie Watts off East Enders! (As above)

I became a fan when I saw him playing a solo in the middle of “Now I'm Here” at Wembley- Its on Utube I think- I had assumed it was done in the studio, there are melodies running side by side ,counter points and descants all going on at the same time, and, as revealed at Wembley, all played by one man, on one home made guitar. Amazing,

Bringing discernable, palpable intellegence and musicality to the lead guitar of a rock band is like bringing Michael Angelo to paint the ceiling of a portacabin. A waste perhaps, but if you do ,you will experience a few sublime moments that lift an ordinary life.

One odd thing. Even today there is nothing better in my music collection than Sheer Heart Attack, I include Beethoven, Abba and Holst in that. My favorite track is Brighton Rock, where Brian rejects all his erudition and learning and simply thumps the strings like a rhythmic Neanderthal. Now that is Rock and Roll.

Updated 05-10-2010 at 11:09 AM by prendrelemick

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I love Queen. I still remember the first time I heard "Bohemian Rhapsody." Freddie Mercury's voice was an equally elegant instrument. I still love, love, love to listen to him sing "Can anybody find me someone to love..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbFLYa0_bw

So beautifully operatic; they took rock to a whole new level.

I'll have to check out the solo on youtube.
    Updated 05-10-2010 at 10:32 PM by qimissung
    The Queen songs mark out episodes in my life. They were brilliant.

I saw some clips of them tonight on Grumpy Old 80s, and they were discussing how people didn't realise Freddie was gay, despuite the campness and the band being called Queen. I didn't either - not that it matters anyway, but then again I did come from Wakefield.
    Queen are amazing. I've loved them since i was a child. Greatest band on earth.
    I love "Killer Queen" -what a great song - but I have to admit I'm not a fan of the rest of their stuff. "We Are The Champions," "Crazy Little Thing Called Love," and "Fat Bottom Girls" are ok.

Prend, you should post the youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMz-wi50ACU
    I love Queen. Sometimes I feel embarrissed if my boys sing along with Fat Bottom Girls . When I was little We Are The Champions were on the radio a lot and it always scared me- I would cry! I always thought Freddie was a cutie ~ Too bad.
    I loved their songs but.. they went a bit mad for their fat bottom girls. Generally i'm not big on those songs and they are usually one after an other on my ipod/ cd collect so i get through them quickly!
    Killer Queen is a great song! No one but you is amazing. Bicycle race is nonsense but fun all the same and i just love pelting out Princes of the Universe but i think my love of that song extends from my love of Highlander!
    Also i'm a huge fan of we will rock you the musical. Queen at the Ballet is also supposed to be amazing but i never got to see it!
    Another one bites the dust - reminds me of my Rugby days at wakefield Trinity - colts that is.
    I love Queen. They always remind me of my Dad, he was a big Queen fan. Especially It's a Kind of Magic and I Want to Break Free as they came out when we first got MTV! My Dad was one of those naive people referred to in the Grumpy guide that Paul mentioned, who never really figured out that Freddie Mercury was gay.

I was scared of Freddie Mercury when I was a kid, though, because he was always half naked and prancing around in leotards and it kind of freaked me out. But he was a genius showman and had an excellent voice. It was a sad loss to music when he died. My boss was fortunate enough to see them in concert and, as a pretty regular concert goer, he said they were probably the best band he's ever seen live. Which is a sound endorsement. For me, I'd have loved to have seen them perform just One Vision and Radio Gaga, both real crowd raisers. Brilliant stuff.

Oh and Fat Bottomed Girls - what a song!
    Oh, Queen- unfortunately, for my generation, forever embodied by Wayne's World...

In all seriousness though, I do love Queen. Perfect roadtrip music/shower music/anytime music.
    You know, I've looked and Looked for that particular performance on youtube, but I can't find it - the one I watched all those years ago- Its strange, I have a clear memory of it, but none of the you tube clips quite fit.
    Listening to Queen still almost makes me cry, and has at times. I listen to them on the long, winding drives on and off of this giant mountain I live on. Fantastic road music or anytime music. I love the way you speak of them. I have to wonder if rock and roll can ever be that good again.
    I saw them supporting Mott the Hoople at Hammersmith in 1973, when their first album was out. I thought they were extraordinary.

There was a moment in the seventies when Queen found themselves with the opportunity, had they chosen to take it, to change the way rock music worked. Had they combined Mercury's compositional skills and May's twist on what electric guitars could do (and found themselves a lyricist) - they could have revolutionised the genre.

Unfortunately they conspired to turn themselves into a sort of Lear-jet vaudeville act, and the whole thing became embarrassing.
    Haha, mick you old rocker!

J
    Mmm "News of the world" was the rubicon moment. After that I crossed over to Supertramp. (hangs head in shame)
    Updated 12-08-2011 at 04:54 PM by prendrelemick