View RSS Feed

Halls of the Dark Muse

Deer Gunned Down By Police

Rate this Entry
An police officer gunned down a deer in a residential area, where there were children present to witness this honorific event. And the deer was not posting a threat nor attacking the officers, and wasn't an immediate danger to anyone, in addition animal control had already been contacted an was on its way.

But the police decided to take matters into their own hands and open fire on the deer because according to their excuse for way they did this "it was disoriented being in an urban area"

So because it was frightened they decided to slaughter it.

Oh and not to mention the fact, the cops are the ones responsible for chasing the deer into the residential area to start with.

The police officer happened to come across the deer running along the road when he was on patrol and so he perused it in his vehicle, until out of fear it hoped a fence into this neighborhood.

Then the officer decided to shot the deer to death in front of the neighbors where there were children present.

Comments

I can't help but think that there has to be a better way. I've no issue with shooting something, but only if you are planning to eat it. I love hunting and fishing, but we never kill anything unless we plan to eat it. I can't stand the senseless killing of animals.

On another note, did your blog get spammed by fly123 or is it just a broken link insert? It looks like broken HTML since the forum doesn't use it for tags. You may want to let the moderators know.

Meg
    All the cops had to do was tell the residents to stay indoors and monitor the situation until animal control arrived to tranq the animal and relocate it. But it is my experience with these sort of stories that come out, that cops just like the opportunity to shoot things. Especially the Oakland Police.

Hmmm yes I think it may have been spammed.
    Updated 05-04-2010 at 01:07 PM by Dark Muse
    You're completely right Muse- they should have monitored it until the animals could be properly sedated. The poor thing was probably terrified!

Have to disagree with you in some respect Meg. Sometimes a quick painless death is almost better than hunting, which causes an animal an immense amount of stress. But that's a whole different conversation.
    The only real threat I could see a deer posing is leaping in front of a moving car and causing an accident, so I don't understand these actions. Cops don't know how to handle wildlife- or animals at all, really- I recently had a horse I knew gunned down in the middle of the road as it was loose. We told them we just needed to go and get grain, and they had up roadblocks, but they shot it straight through the head.
    Why do they always have to kill? Deer frequently come onto people's property who live near wilderness areas to nibble on tree bark, or whatever it is that deer do or eat. I know my sister sees them occasionally where she lives; her only fear is that one will leap in front of her when she is driving.

I understand that they are quite populous in the north; someone who lives there would have to verify that. But I never heard of them being anything more than a nuisance.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeccaT
    The only real threat I could see a deer posing is leaping in front of a moving car and causing an accident, so I don't understand these actions. Cops don't know how to handle wildlife- or animals at all, really- I recently had a horse I knew gunned down in the middle of the road as it was loose. We told them we just needed to go and get grain, and they had up roadblocks, but they shot it straight through the head.
    Police in general do tend to have a shoot and kill on sight policy when it comes to dealing with animals.

I do not know if it is purely just because they are ignorant and don't know how to deal with wildlife.

Or if they just see the animals as an opportunity for target practice on a living target.

I do think that in this day and age with more people encroaching into areas where wildlife lives and driving animals down out of their natural habitat into residential areas, there is a need for police to undergo some sort of seminar or something about how to deal with wildlife and animals.

I also think that cops should be able to be held under investigation for unnecessary animal cruelty in the same way a civilian would who shot an animal without proper permission.

Police officers should not get a free pass if they do use unnecessary or excessive violence against an animal.
    Seems like they were very hasty and reckless if you ask me. To start shooting in an urban area is crazy.
    Very well said, Dark Muse.