View RSS Feed

Nostalgia

Probably my last blog for a while

Rate this Entry
And unfortunately, it's not going to be too terribly positive. I bought a truck about three weeks ago, and have done absolutely nothing but spend money on it. Granted, I'm making it exactly how I want it, but still, I'm getting close to spending as much on aftermarket performance stuff as the truck is worth. I had to get tires within the first two days of the purchase, because the idiot I bought it from had been running on two different sized tires for at least a year, and it needed an alignment badly. So, I shelled out eight hundy on brand spankin' new excellent tires. Then I spent an additional thirty on alignment parts. After that was done, I bought an aftermarket air intake for it that increased my power by a few horses and my mileage quite a bit. That ran about 300, and then I got my federal refund back, so I went and purchased an aftermarket high-flow exhaust system to- believe it or not- increase the power and mileage. While the truck as in the shop today, I had the guy look at some stuff I was concerned about. My driveshaft has an inch or so of rotational movement, which is considered excessive. I told him this, and this is the list I got back of **** that needs fixing:
Excessive backlash in pinion gear/excessive metal in fluid. Needs investigation.
Upper and lower ball joints worn and need replacement
Left inner tie rod end is worn and needs replacement
Shocks leaking and need replacement.

Okay, so some of that explains why the alignment was absolute hell to do.
I'm pretty sure the whole metal-in-the-differential-fluid has something to do with the 2 different sized tires. Hopefully it is just some worn gears, possibly change the fluid and go on my way. If not, differential rebuild = $$$$. Ball joints, I can do those myself. Tie rod end, don't really want to.
I guess I'll be driving this truck for a while!

On a lighter note, I have less than ten days until I leave for South Dakota for a few days to get my pre-ranch liver conditioning done. I'm going up to visit my buddy Paul, who is getting married in August and my old boss, Brad. I'll be up there for two and a half days or so before I turn around and come home to go to a Shinedown concert in Denver. The day after that, I'm ranch-bound. I'll be there till September, then it's hopefully up to South Dakota again for a month or so, then to Arizona or New Mexico for some warmer winter weather and a job.
Things (not money related) are going well. I have a job thank goodness, to help pay for all the vehicle stuff. I absolutely hate mucking stalls, but it would have been a long month between school ending and heading back to the hills. But let me tell you- six hours of nothing but horse **** will drive you insane. I knew there was a reason I quit last time!
That's all for now, folks. I probably won't be blogging much after this, what with having to walk half a mile to get internet service and having to hide my computer so the guests don't realize that there is internet at the house.
So, if I don't make it back before I leave, so long! Take care! I will miss you, even if my participation has been lacking lately.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Have fun in South Dakota. Take care of yourself, and hopefully we'll see you around in a few months :)
    What the heck is "pre-ranch liver conditioning?" Is that something to do with all the alcohol you consume?

Cars are nothing but a headache. I could never spend time working on them. I just dislike it so. I like doing house repairs, and I even find that relaxing, but for some reason cars just aggravate me.

Take care of yourself Skib, and i'll look forward to seeing you back.
    Meg- Oh, have no fear! I'll be back prowling the forums as soon as I can. Can't keep myself away for too long.

Virgil- You whacked the nail on the head. There are four things you do in South Dakota- See the corn palace, see Mount Rushmore, hunt, and drink. You could throw in visiting Al's Oasis if you really wanted to, and maybe the caves. But the top four are the main attractions.
    I've never been to South Dakota. But I've been to a number of places like that. At least South Dakota has Mount Rushmore. I've been to a few places that didn't even have that. You want to find an absolute nothing of an place, go to southern New Mexico.
    I am going to envy you ALL winter long, while I am pushing my wheelbarrow through three feet of snow in sub-zero temps. . I don't know anything about trucks, but it sounds like yours has run the gamut of problems.
    Good luck to you!Enjoy the corn palace
    We always miss you in the summer. Have fun and lots and lots of adventures to tell us about through the next long, cold, dreary winter.

I'm a little confused though. You live in Colorado, but you're from South Dakota?

Good luck with the car. You sound as if you are enjoying the process of fixing it up, but all the money it's costing you makes me slightly depressed.
    That's REALLY cool, I'd do something along those lines (take off to a place without electricity) if I didn't have a summer job in stupid customer service. I envy you so much, have fun!
    Sorry about my terrible lack of responses. My brain is melting.

Virgil- Or Kansas. A ten hour trip through Kansas was the worst three day trip of my life.

Becca- Yep. everything but the motor is jacked. The whole southern migration thing next winter isn't set. I might be commiserating with you and you're wheelbarrow.

MH- I will! I haven't seen in in almost two years!

qimi- I'm sure there will be no shortage of stories for next winter!
    Yes, I live in Colorado, but I worked in South Dakota last winter and I loved it so much I decided to adopt it as my last of three homes. Yes, I love the work but the whole money thing . . . sore subject indeed!

Juniper- Do it! We do have electricity, but if we plug in anything more than a box heater at once we'll blow the circuit. Nothing like good old fashioned mountain living!
    Scrap the customer service next year. Go find a ranch. Live there. You'll love yourself for it, at least right up until you leave.
    Enjoy yourself skib! (Sorry I missed your initial posting). . . . South Dakota is a beautiful place to be.