View RSS Feed

The (not so) Inner Whinings of an Impatient Rambler

End of My Era

Rate this Entry
The best part of my life will never be the same again.

After a period of chronic lameness and a new set of x-rays, it's been decided that the arthritis in my horse Tobasco's right foreleg is so far advanced that the lameness is likely permanent.

I'll never be able to ride my horse again.

He's being retired to pasture, which is the best thing for him, and he'll be happy and will have the best chance at some sort of recovery.

Updated 04-22-2010 at 10:29 PM by *Classic*Charm*

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Oh I'm so sorry It must be sooo awful to loose the greatest passion in your life. Some people may not understand, but it truly is like losing a very close friend. And it's even worse when loosing that passion is also a part of a creature you love. It's as if I lost both my dog and my ability to read, so I feel for you.
    So many hugs =( I am so, so sorry.
    I know that is very difficult. Growing up we have had several horses and even a miniature burrow. They were not just animals, they were companions...friends. Solomon was my horse, which I mentioned died the day we buried my mother. We lost Sunny many years earlier. Be thankful that you've been able to offer and receive the medical care that you have. We endured many things with our animals. "The best of times and the worst of times..." If I could offer one piece of advice: This is your friend. Treat your horse as you would any other friend. This is not the end of your relationship, even though it won't be the same as it has been.

I know what you are feeling. You are in my thoughts.
    Oh! I'm so sorry Classic. That's awful!
    Oh that is sad. I'm sorry. But he will still be alive. Even horses have to retire.
    Terrible and sad! I understand this is a loss for you, but every end is a new beginning. I wish a speedy recovery to your friend. Hope he is not in pain.

Be strong!
    Aww That sucks for the both of you *hugs*
    I'm sorry to hear this, but at least they're not recommending that you have him put down. Even if you can't ride him you still are able to visit and see him. Given that all the horses I've ever ridden showed affection like an oversized puppy, that is a small blessing. Hope things look up for you.

~Meg
    Aww CC i'm so sorry to read that about your horse. ((hug))
    Oh. I am so sorry, Classic. But he is alive, and that is important, too.

Now go rub his nose and give him a sugar cube. (((hugs)))
    It's not the end of your era. Just because you can't ride him doesnt mean you cant enjoy your time with him . thats one of the wonderful things about horses, communicating with them, or just hanging around with them gives satisfaction. Still though, sorry to hear about that. The arthritis almost reminds me of my old horse, though she never had anything that serious she was as clumbsy as can be. When we were riding all was perfect, but when she was by herself she had a habbit of ramming her head into metal steaks and getting stuck in fences. Makes me wonder if the hole in her head ( yeah ) was really by a gunshot ( she had a messed up leg when we got her, she was a rescue horse ) or just ran into something sharp lol.