View RSS Feed

title

Pit Bull Attack

Rate this Entry
I just witnessed a little while ago a pit bull attack another dog and I am still shaking from seeing it.

I had just come home from the store and got out of my car and all of a sudden I heard this woman screaming. At first I thought she was screaming at a person but then I looked down the block and a pit bull had this womans dog in its mouth. At one point the pit bull had the dog up in the air. The woman was screaming and trying to get the pit bull off her dog but the pit would not let go.

I walked over to see if I could help and by that time the pits owner came over and pried its teeth open so the dog can get free. The pit bull had blood and hair hanging from its mouth. The woman whose dog was attacked was horrified and said to the owner of the pit "why did you have him outside without a leash". The woman replied he got out the front door.

We tried to convince the woman to report it to the police but she didn't want to. I said you really should get your dog to the vet. She said she wants the woman to pay for the vet bill. I said fine but you really should get your dog to the vet and report it to the police and animal control.

What gets me really mad is that the owner of the pit bull didn't even seem remorseful. Not once did I hear her say she was sorry!!

I have no idea what the owner of the dog who was attacked is going to do. All I can think of right now is that could have been me and my dog. I will no longer walk my dog on that block ever again!!
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    oh my! that is scary! I'd be shaken up and angry too! I sure hope that the dog that was attacked gets taken to the vet!
    Though I would take my dog to the vet, I have to admit I would not report it because it will only mean that the dog will be blamed and it is not the pit bulls fault, and I could not condemn another animal to die just because it had stupid owners. When they start euthanizing the owners instead of the dogs, then I will report it.
    Updated 04-21-2010 at 02:46 PM by Dark Muse
    I would not want to see the pit bull euthanized either but what I saw was absolutely horrifying and I feel something should be done but it's not my call to make.
    It's a shame all around. People really need to be much more cognizant of their dogs. Not just the "dangerous breeds", of which I own one and he isn't the one to worry about out of my bunch. He plays pony for my daughter and is really the best dog with kids I've ever seen. My dog has never done anything more than run around a bit when he gets out, but if he were to ever do something like this... I don't know what I would do or say. Sorry doesn't really seem to cover it, but is certainly needed to be said regardless.
    How small was the little dog? Because if I was a pitbull and saw something like one of the balls of fluff that you see around occasionally, it would look just like a toy to me.
    I believe, pit bulls and other attack dogs are banned here since there were cases of attacked and severely wounded, if not killed, children.
    Juniper: the dog that got attacked was a ball of fluff but that still doesn't excuse what it did.

Lulim: there have been cases here in NYC where the owners of pit bulls have been arrested due to their dogs attacking humans and in some cases killing them.

Its also true what DM had said "it's not the dogs fault, it's the owners fault".
    I really really really dont like those dogs. they scare the hell out of me. Had one chase me when i was younger and i climebed up a wall to get away from it until i went after a car and i sprinted. Those things dont let go till they have heard a brake.
    Certain dogs are banned in council areas or in council houses but DCC. Doesnt stop people having them though and nobody bothers to tell them otherwise. Dangerous dogs can be good in the hands of the right people. In the hands of the wrong people... *shudder*
    I whole heartedly agree with "it's not the dogs fault, it's the owners fault". Pit bulls are banned in Ontario as a dangerous breed, but I know several people who had very, very well behaved pitties that wouldn't hurt a fly, played with their babies, kitties, other dogs, etc. It is truly unfortunate when they end up in the hands of a**-hats like this, who can't even say, 'I'm sorry' or control their dogs.
    An unpleasant experience. Dogs, especially poorly controlled ones, can be so unpredictable. I don't like to see neglectful owners and worse - kids trying to take large unruly dogs for walks. Scary all round.
    Wow, I've never seen this dog. I'll have to keep an eye out for him.

It's not the breed that is the problem, it's that the owners did not know how to train and socialize him as a pup. The problem is that aggressive breeds need special attention and there is no room for error.

I've mixed feelings on whether they should be outlawed. I've met several that are just loving dogs who are quite careful of their strength. They obviously were raised correctly.

However, Dark Muse, once the dog has proven to be out of control, then he is a further danger to society. Another incident might result in a more catastrophic outcome. I hope this woman reported this. If I had been there I would certainly have called the police.
    That sounds truly frightening!
    That is frightening. I wouldn't walk on that block anymore, either. I had one, out of the blue, start after me once, but it minded it's owner. She and I were both a little shook up.

While I agree it's not the breed, they are bred to be aggressive and they do have those jaws. Unfortunately, it's kind of like child abuse and the kid has grown up to be a criminal, as a result of that mistreatment. If this happens again, it will be the dog's fault, too.

Please be apprised that I like all dogs, no matter the breed.
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung
    While I agree it's not the breed, they are bred to be aggressive and they do have those jaws. Unfortunately, it's kind of like child abuse and the kid has grown up to be a criminal, as a result of that mistreatment. If this happens again, it will be the dog's fault, too.

Please be apprised that I like all dogs, no matter the breed.
    The dog cannot be held at fault. It is only acting upon its instincts. While I am the first person to argue for the intelligence of animals, it is not as if the dog has a conscious debate with itself over the right and wrong of attacking another dog or person.

The dog is not aware of doing anything wrong. It cannot make the choice on its own to ignore its natural instincts.

It cannot say to itself "I know my owners are irresponsible so it is up to me to figure out how to properly behave in spite of how I have been trained"
    As Becca said, breeding Pit Bulls is banned in our province and the ones that exist have to be muzzled when in public. I've also met some lovely, lovely pit bulls.

I've always been a very firm believer in "it's not the dog, it's the owner". Feel free to insert any pet species into that phrase. I did, however, speak on this topic to a professor of animal behaviour. Basically, his point was that in the way that collies were bred for herding, pit bulls were bred for fighting, and that no matter how well they're trained, until the breeding program has significantly changed (which it won't as it's being phased out), you can never completely suppress the natural behaviour inherent in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    It's not the breed that is the problem, it's that the owners did not know how to train and socialize him as a pup. The problem is that aggressive breeds need special attention and there is no room for error.
    You've contradicted yourself here, Virgil. You've called them an aggressive breed, but said that the problem is the owner.
    You're might be right C.C., that might be a conrtadiction. There's a term for a dog breed that is more "aggressive." I can't think of it right now and I don't have time to look it up. All dogs can be aggressive, no matter the breed. But some breeds are more likely foir it to come out if not properly raised. Again, it's not the breed but the socialization.
    I'm sorry you witnessed this, I have had to see this several times with our labs, and neighbors having toy dogs and letting them in our yard. its very distrubing. I too agree its not entirely the dogs fault. You should not walk their, I believe it has been proving that attacks have always started with animals. I also see the toy point, My dogs have chew toys bigger than some dogs, especialy with throwing him in the air, its not right. but it is possible that the pit has a chew toy that is small and fluffy. the owner needs to be reported. the first offense is normaly a pretty heafty fine, the second the animal is put down. If you have to walk around there please carry a gun, or something to defend yourself with.
    These dogs are banned in Australia, I think it is this breed. But we have numerous attackes here as well and most of them have been Pit Bulls, but some were Rotweillers. It's a terrible thing... Do watch your back dear and don't trust any stray dog. Pit Bull or not
    If it bolted out the front door, then I don't think it's really anyone's fault.

The dog was supposed to be on a leash, but someone left the door open by accident (maybe they thought they had closed it but the wind blew it open again, or they were talking to someone as they were leaving the house and weren't paying attention; who doesn't do that once in a while?). The dog, in it's new-found freedom, takes off after the nearest ball of fluff it can find (which is it's nature... it's a dog. The ball of fluff would look like a stuffed animal, my dog would do the same thing if it were all of a sudden leashless and excited... Bob's chased squirrels and mice, what's the difference?). I don't think that a big dog going after a toy-breed is suggestive that he would attack a human (even a small child). The agression that dogs show one another is to be expected, who hasn't seen the occasional canine battle?

This stuff happens. Overreacting is how innocent animals are euthanized.

*edit* The reason that pit bulls and rotties are banned so often is because losers are attracted to them and make them violent, so the stats indicate that getting rid of certain breeds will reduce dog attacks. Jackass guys want big, mean-looking dogs because they want to be cool. They train their dogs to be violent. It's the humans that influence the dogs' behavior, and not some inherant flaw on the part of the breed. The same guy given a dalmation will yield the same results: a dangerous, maladjusted animal.

That doesn't mean that the guy who owned this pittie was a jerk, though. The front door of his house was just somehow left open. Maybe it was because he just got some bad news and that's why he didn't say sorry: his mind was occupied. It could be a million things.
    Updated 04-22-2010 at 05:17 AM by JuniperWoolf
    When I worked with the dogs at the CSPCA, half of the dogs that came through our doors were Pittbulls. There is a recognized streak of dog-aggressiveness in the breed, many will turn out highly aggressive against other dogs if not properly socialized. It's a result of their terrier origins and the fact that these breeds were bred for hunting and aggression to animals. I think they're a beautiful breed though, and they can be just as good as other dogs when properly trained.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast