View RSS Feed

title

Change of Plans

Rate this Entry
As you all know by now Virgil and I received word on 3/25 that there were 2 boys available in Astana for adoption. We told our coordinator that we can get there around 4/17. Up until yesterday we had not heard anything else from our contact and we were starting to get worried. (Virgil more than me) From 3/26 till yesterday when the Mr. would come home from work the conversation went like this:
Virgil: any word ?
Me: No
Virgil: this is ridiculous
Me: what would you like me to do ?
Virgil: call our contact
Me: if she had news, she would call
Virgil: Maybe we should call her
Me: then you pick up the phone and call her
Virgil: OK, I will

So he called her yesterday morning and she had no news. I have to admit that even I was getting somewhat nervous. I was convinced something was going on.

Later in the day I received an email. We are not going to Astana and the 2 boys that were available are no longer. I won't go into details since it's a mute point. Instead our paperwork has been assigned to the Shymkent region of Kazakhstan. This is south of where we were going to go. It's the capital of South Kazakhstan and the largest city in the South. The population is around half a million.

I then called our coordinator to speak with her. She wanted to know how I felt and I said as long as we are still leaving this month and I'm glad we found this out now rather than getting there and then being told abt this latest development. This only sets us a week behind our initial plans so it is not that bad. At least it gives us an extra week to get the balance of things we need to do finalized. Now I can make arrangements for our dog, get money from the bank, shop for gifts that we need to bring for the officials and such.

The only thing we don't know is what child is available, boy or girl but still feel it will be a boy.

Remember all that dreaded paperwork we had to do ? Well, we have to redo just one letter. We went to the bank last night to get it notarized and Virg will send it to our coordinator this morning. I still have to get it Authenticated from the County Clerks office and then Apostilled by the State. Thank God it's only one piece of paperwork but I'm a pro by now

Next week we should be able to finalize our flights and apply for our Visas and we should be ready to go.

That's it for now

Paka
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good grief! What torment! I'm happy to see, however, that you and Virgil remain committed and strong. Best wishes, Jerry
    What a headache. I'm sorry that the boys are no longer available. That had to be a heartache, but at least it looks like you will still be traveling on time. Much love, Meg
    There's always some kind of hitch. It sounds as though you've got it under control.
    Ah, the old 'false labour' trick. Baby will arrive when it wants, and not a moment before

Glad to hear you're taking it in your stride. You're nearly there, and you will get there. Good luck, Fifth.
    Yeah, but I'm still pissed. Either of those two boys seemed ideal, and now we have no idea what will be waiting for us. And Shymkent doesn't sound like the best place to be.

*Sigh* I will get over it, but I'm ticked.
    Updated 04-08-2010 at 11:40 PM by Virgil
    Its a shame about the two boys but the main thing is you are still on schedule and if you are assigned to a bigger city, it means by the time you get there you could have more of an option and see that one baby that calls to you! best of luck to both of you!
    Oh, for crying out loud, are the obstacles never going to end? =/. It could have been much worse, I suppose, but how annoying!
    When I saw the title of this blog, my heart just constricted, so I was very relieved to see that you were still going in April. Thank God. I thought they were going to postpone it indefinitely.

I'm holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed for you. I know whatever sweet little baby you guys get will be the most perfect child in the world for you.
    Thanks everyone.

Becca - you are sounding like Virgil. Not sure if that is good or bad

Qimi - didn't mean to make your heart go swoosh, swoosh.
    It's OK; unfortunately I'm a swoosh, swoosh kind of person.
    Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots
    Becca - you are sounding like Virgil. Not sure if that is good or bad
    I'm sorry but this whole process feels so insecure, and the change is probably not for the best, though I could be wrong. I had such great vibes concerning those two boys and now I feel the carpet has been pulled from under me.

But after going out with a few old friends one last time before we're off and a couple of glasses of wine, I'm softening.
    [QUOTE=Virgil;bt47406]:lol: I'm sorry but this whole process feels so insecure, and the change is probably not for the best, though I could be wrong. I had such great vibes concerning those two boys and now I feel the carpet has been pulled from under me.

But after going out with a few old friends one last time before we're off and a couple of glasses of wine, I'm softening. :wink5:[/QUOTE]

See, they are preparing you for being a parent ;) I don't think I've felt secure in a decision since having kids. It all started with "If I name them XXX, are they going to get picked on for it?" and I'm afraid that the worries just never ended :D You're getting there, and it is a little nice that you have a surprise waiting like all couples who wait to find out the sex of the baby. Much Love, Meg
    It is true Meg that it will be a surprise to see if we are having a boy or girl, the only difference is ours has been a 3 year pregnancy LOL
    [QUOTE=pussnboots;bt47423]It is true Meg that it will be a surprise to see if we are having a boy or girl, the only difference is ours has been a 3 year pregnancy LOL[/QUOTE]

:lol: I barely made it the nine months, and I'll confess to being the type who couldn't wait to find out the gender. I'm not one for surprises.
    So how long now and what's the plan. I'm really on the edge of my seat here and with Virgil's last blog, well- I'm ready to get this show on the road. I'm worried that you guys are worried. I wasn't this anxious for my own children to arrive!
    Quote Originally Posted by motherhubbard
    So how long now and what's the plan. I'm really on the edge of my seat here and with Virgil's last blog, well- I'm ready to get this show on the road. I'm worried that you guys are worried. I wasn't this anxious for my own children to arrive!
    It looks like it's just a week delay and instead of going to the capital, Astana, we will be going to a city called Shymkent. I'll put together an update blog.
    Ok, I'm with you on that. But, there's some other business about when you can bring the baby home. How long till Jr. is crying to sleep in the middle (I'm really looking forward to all the good times ahead, I love to hear new parents tell about their experiences)
    To be honest Mom-H, we're not sure. If it goes according to procedure 6-8 weeks. But there is a couple right now in a city called Taraz (that Pussnboots has kept in email communication with) that has been there since December. It probably varies from region to region based on the region's court system and complications.
    This has got to be the biggest test of patience I have ever read about. Just reading from the sidelines I get enraged.