View RSS Feed

The (not so) Inner Whinings of an Impatient Rambler

Hello, Stranger

Rate this Entry
It's been quite a while since I posted here, not that I'm much of a blogger anyways, but I haven't really been around LitNet much of late, and since I'm procrastinating studying for my animal reproduction midterm tomorrow, I figured I'd say hello!

School has essentially been all-consuming this year, but particularly this semester. My courseload is fairly heavy and there are a lot of assignments for everything. It's nice to really be putting in the work and seeing results though. It's been a long time since I felt like I really knew what I was talking about. I've kind of found a mentor in one of my professors as well. He teaches my Animal Care and Welfare course, which is one of my favourite courses I've ever taken. It started as a philosophy course that has gone into basically a research study course. Dr Duncan is world-renowned in the field of animal welfare as he was trained in the research facility that successfully cloned the first animal, Dolly the sheep, and he was one of the first people to actually develop a theory on animal welfare and create studies to measure animal welfare based on their feelings. I was worried when I first started taking it that it was going to be really Rah Rah Animal Rights! but it hasn't been at all. The focus has really been on establishing what animals feel and how they experience their surroundings and not on anthropomorphosing animals- not treating them like they're human because they're not. Anyway, he had recently published a paper on a type of horse training that is becoming popular with pro dressage riders and is slipping down into the amateur world without people even realizing they're doing it, so I asked him to send it to me so I could read it. He asked me to come by and discuss it with him when I was done so I went and we had this whole discussion about horses and animal behaviour and my grades and vet school and just, everything. It was awesome. I think if I maintain a relationship with him, he would write me a reference for vet school. AND he's the only prof that takes undergrad teaching assistants, so I think I'm going to apply to TA this class next year. Anyways, it's just nice to have a prof that I'm comfortable enough with to seriously discuss my future. It's been a big help.

Since this semester has been heavy on stress, I'm really glad that I brought my cats to school with me. They do good things for my mental health since, let's face it, I'm a stress case. It's gotten so bad that I have visible lumps on my shoulders from the enormous muscle knots I've gotten from my stressed-out posture. I could use a massage hahaha. Oh well, that's what happens when all five of my final exams fall in a period of five straight days.

It also doesn't help to have random inconveniences thrown at me, like my laptop power cord completely ceasing to function the day before an enormous assignment is due when the only store in the city that carries them is out of stock. I'm really not good with stresses like that. Tiny things that throw off my plan are not good, but give me a medical emergency and I'm your best friend. Weird, I know.

I really miss my horses . I haven't even been able to get out to visit them since Christmas break, which SUCKS. Tobasco bruised his foot over Christmas and is still getting over it, my poor man. Shadow and Moonstone are both good though. Shadow has a little rider for this show season, which is exciting, despite the fact that I'm jealous. It'll be great experience for him and he's such a laid back pony that he'll be fine with a new rider. I'm hoping to get Moonie back in the ring myself this summer, though the chances are looking extremely slim right now. She'll be such a great show horse once she gets in the ring consistently. I miss riding so much.

Speaking of riding, my parents are discouraging me from riding at all this summer. Ugh, the plans for this summer are a mess. I've decided to do a full semester at school. And work. Two jobs. The school is necessary so that I can take all the courses I want since they're only offered in certain semesters, but I can't afford to not work for the summer. I still have my old job, but now I'm only relief and not a regular employee so I won't have guaranteed hours, hence the second job. My parents don't want me to ride because of the cost and the time, but I'm not sure I'll be able to retain my sanity without riding. I live through the school year because I have riding to look forward to. I don't actually know what I'll do if I can't ride.

Other than that, the summer is looking exciting. My brother and his wife are expecting their first baby in June, and my other brother is getting married in July. So soon I will be both aunt and bridesmaid. I can't wait for this baby. I can't believe that I can't wait haha. I don't like children. I never have. I don't know how to talk to children or behave around them. I just have no interest in them whatsoever. Give me something four-legged instead, please. But as soon as my brother told me the news, I've been giggling like a small child. My mother thinks this will be enough to change me "I'm never having children" stance on life, though I think that might be pushing it. Either way, I cannot wait for little Jacob Michael/ Emma Lynn to be born!! The first gift this child will receive from me: a tiny pair of breeches. This child will like horses. It doesn't have a choice haha.

Other than that, there's not much happening in my life. I depend on the appearances in town of my favourite bands to keep me from going crazy and other than that, I live for school. And that's why I have no time for LitNet. I miss this place.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

*blinks*. I can not even imagine how stressed out you are right now. Wow. Chin up, it will be worth it in the end when you're being roused from bed at 3:00 a.m for emergency colic procedures xD.
    Classic, school is not forever. Concentrate on it and get through with flying colors. Then you can side activities. Good luck on being an Auntie.
    ahem. nothing much beside that. okey dokey. once you're out of school you'll be wondering how come you have nine extra hours to ride. Well, keep doing what you've been doing and you'll be fine! good luck with your niece/nephew!
    Wow, how wonderful to have such an astute, literate professor. Lucky!

I'm sorry you are missing your horses, and terribly excited for you that you are going to have a niece or nephew.

Life sounds good, except for all that darned stress.

Take care. Get that massage soon. My shoulders hurt just thinking about your courseload.
    Becca- It will def be worth it. I'd prefer not to be doing colic surgery, but whatever it is, 3AM is my time to shine haha

Virgil- No, not forever. Just another 5 years or so. Thank you

Skib- I sure as hell hope so. Thanks

Qim- that's the glorious thing about school: any question you have, there's always someone brilliant around to answer it. Thank you!