View RSS Feed

Foxtrot's Theories

Camp.

Rate this Entry
At camp... Uh... I'll just tell the story.
We got to school at eight. We boarded the bus. I was sitting next to this kid who dumped me without me knowing I was going out with him. He refused to even look at me. Oh well. He wouldn't give me any of his chips either. Now, the chips I actually wanted.

It was a four and a half hour drive. We stopped half way for a toilet break and then boarded again. Towards the end of the journey, up and down massive hills, seeing as the camp was in a valley, our ears kept on getting blocked and then popping. That was pretty much it.
I didn't get sick on the way there. Yay!

On arrival we began an argument about lasagna and our mothers. I said that they always give us the most pathetic lasagna at camps. I said my mum's was better. Another girl agreed that her mum's was better. Then I said my mum make the best lasagna ever.

It ended up a fully blown argument that lasted all three days, and still ongoing now, involving myself, a few friends and my homeroom teacher. It included factors of all sorts, like the ingredients used to the fact that I was the only Italian one so I claim the rights to what qualifies as good lasagna.

We arrived and had salad rolls. Everyone else complained about what we were eating. That is awesome lunch to me. I mean, I don't see what their problem was. They should just appreciate it, despite the fact that it isn't junk food.

We were allocated rooms. None of my friends put me in with them, so I was with another girl in my class whom I now know well. And whose mum makes lasagna inferior to my mum's, I've decided that much. There were four other girls who disliked us and who didn't speak English whenever we were around. Ah well, such is life.

We had our first activity, leap of faith. We climbed about six metres up a pole and stood on a box only big enough for our feet, and then we jumped off, trying to hit a ball tied to a string. Well, I'm scared of heights as of New Years Eve. So I was up on this box shaking. I jumped though. Nobody thought I would. I've got a habit of being unpredictable. I did it again and ended up with the best time. It was a big surprise for everyone.

I forcibly (I just realised it isnít Ďivelyí it is Ďiblyí) made my teacher go up there. All beforehand my friends and I discussed what we wanted at our funerals and how we were going to die and all of these things that bothered our teacher before he had to climb up. I also told him that oxygen gets a little thin up there. When he got up I asked how the weather was. He jumped. When he got down we told him that if the siren for the next rotation rang we'd have left him up there, and then come back later to prod him with a giant rod.

We had the high ropes course. We went up, across, down. And I talked to my teacher more. I spent most of camp doing that. He has a cat and likes cute and cuddly things. We had fruit.

Then I was on the trampoline, and I went on the playground. Then I watched my teacher and this other kid I know play chess and the winner got a heart-shaped leaf that I found. It was special until I realised that there was a whole tree of them. I didnít play chess at all on camp. Iím not bad, but Iíd rather watch. The kid who apparently dumped me played, like, every other game against everybody. He won every time. I still think Iíd have beaten him, Iím that intimidating. He is pretty good though, and seeing as there was hardly another thing to do, I just sat and watched.

Next was dinner. Risotto, salad, noodles. Everyone complained. I liked it, it was something different. Going back for my third serving, something that anyone, let alone a girl, would do, I was talking to the football boys (they eat) about wanting a big, juicy piece of steak. It was good, but I missed have a big chunk of meat all the way through camp. I mean, there was a little, but hardly as much as Iím used to. We had ice cream and chocolate mousse for dessert. We donít have dessert at home, so that was nice.

We had free time. All of the girls hung around the cabins or showered. I watched some more chess and picked up feathers. I mean, I donít like to be with people but I wasnít totally alone, I mean, there were always people. I got thicker into the lasagna discussion. I argued about chess. Good times. I suppose that is what I mean.
Everyone went on a night walk. Basically up a hill and down a hill, came to about a kilometre. We saw an orb weaver spider. Of course, when I pointed that out, only my teacher cared, because that is how it works. It was dark and I didnít have a clue what was going on. Iíd have liked if maybe the instructors could have told us what exactly we were looking for. Iím sure they were only trying to get us to work our energy off. Ah well, such is life. We got back to camp and played some physical games in the gym. Then we had scones and went to our cabins.

The cabins were like complete houses. We had out own separate rooms in groups of six, but there was a kitchen and lounge room. In one of the rooms one of the girls saw a mouse. Well, serenity gone. So a herd of screaming girls jumping and running came streaming out the door and on top of furniture at eleven at night. Such is life. And it was pretty hilarious, seeing as they were all in pjs and it was freezing.

My roommate and I located it. We got a guy with a torch to help, only the genius couldnít move the refrigerator, so whatís the point of some tough guy then? I moved the fridge myself and the mouse was in there. We didnít get it out, just left it, rather than pull the motor apart at that time of night. If the genius girls hadnít left food lying around it never would have happened. The teachers came too do something about it, but everyone had gotten over it by then. So we went to bed.

As soon as the lights were out, at about midnight all of the partying started. ErghÖ I was going to get some sleep, but that became a more long-term goal. Seeing as all the cabins were pretty close and all good friends, the more popular girls right next to us hosted the party in their room, then the next night it would be the boysí turn. So everyone came with food and drinks and a little music. Teachers would come around every now and then, and then everyone not in that cabin would bolt out the back door, and then come back shortly afterwards. Well, I was invited, although I kindly declined. I was going to try and get some sleep, but rather I stayed awake in my room all the while seeing as there were so many people and I wanted to stay on guard, because I didnít quite trust them as of yet. I mean, they couldíve brought alcohol and got drunk and stupid. They didnít, only energy drinks, but just to be safe.

My friend in my room, the one with the mouse and the lasagna, hung out with me. It was that loud in the room with the party next to us, we tried to get some sleep on the couches in the other room. It was the first room teachers would see if they walked in and the fastest one to get out of if the building was on fire. The teacher would come in with a torch, heíd look over us and ignore it. We clearly werenít there to party.

All of this partying was very polite though. Before entering our rooms, people would knock, ask if we were decent, and then come in. They werenít trying to hurt anyone. Only there would be punishment if they were caught seeing as it was late and I did want to sleep. Such is life.

By about three the party was over. Everyone went to their own rooms and I went to bed. Only person in any trouble that night was one boy, he tapped on a window and it broke, cut his arm and a little of his wrist, so they took him by ambulance to hospital. I know it is an unlikely story, but all true. Everyone was pretty close at camp and at our school, so we were very worried. Heís alright though.

We woke the next morning, shared one bathroom with one sink and one mirror between sixteen girls, and went to breakfast. Gossip was still around from the night before, but I was happy to be eating again. We had toast with baked beans (weird but it was alright) and this thing I called egg mush, which really was just mushed egg. I liked it, everybody complained.

Our next activity wasÖ UmÖ It was only a few days ago and Iím forgetting alreadyÖ Initiative games! Yea, we played games in our activity group. There was a big spiderís web made out of wire and we had to get all twenty of us through it without touching it, only using each hole for one person. The bigger people, myself included apparently, picked up the little people so they could get through the top, small holes. It got there in the end.

Then we had more fruit and I filled up a water bottle. We werenít following a timetable anyway, seeing as weíd arrived late on the first day. We were told when to go to our next activity or meal by a siren. It sounded like a dying bird. There were a lot of birds there as well. I spent much of that day complaining about the lack of sleep, even thought I wasnít tired. It still wasnít appropriate to be up so late. My teacher was going to do the duty that night, so he would be around, I thought I was going to sleep soundly.

Anyway, rather than jump to that, I must go in order. We then had rock climbing. About eight metres and we just had to climb up. We held the pulleys for our classmates. I held it for my teacher just to freak him out. Iím like, ĎSir, would you buy life insurance from this face?í That is what I say anywayÖ I didnít drop him, but I liked to see him worry. See, best way to get a teacher to be nice to you, do not kill them. Hehe.

We had lunch; hamburgers and chips. I liked it. People complained because there were things like carrot, lettuce, tomato and beetroot in them; they didnít like that they were healthy. I loved it!! The chips were still deep-friedÖ

Next was an activity called the Maze. We were blindfolded and had to hold onto one anotherís shoulders to guide our way around the campsite. It was one of those activities that were designed to help us trust each other. Most of the activities were something like that.
Next we had more fruit and I watched some more chess. There wasnít all too much else to do, but it was good because that kidís winning streak attracted a small crowd, all the oddballs like me. Only they left after a while, I continued watching until the next activity.

We had our final activity for the day; we went canoeing. Haha. I was working with this kid who just didnít get how to use it. Funny how it is always somebody elseís fault rather than my own, but Iím sure it wasnít me. I saw an iguana and I pointed it out to the group. It looked pretty cool. We played a game where we had to balance, standing up on the front of the canoes, and jumping over the top of them from one to the other. Most people didnít want to try it. I did. I tend to put my hand up for everything. I got over them all, but I let my guard down on the last one and fell in. I didnít jump in, but I let myself fall. I was curious and Iíd wanted to try it, I mean, it would be a new experience; Iíd never fallen into a river before. It was fun. My clothes were wet.

I still didnít have a shower. The showers there were scary. Besides, nobody had any complaintsÖ Hehehehe. I watched some more chess. Ahh, that was it. It was a life-size chess board, outdoors. It was awesome. A little drizzle on the first day, but nobody went inside. The weather provided even though it was cold.

We had dinner. It was Australian lasagna. I didnít like it, but I ate it and didnít complain, except I did discuss it with my friend and my teacher. They liked it. It wasnít traditional tomato and a little bit of alcohol in the sauce type of sweet, it was full of sugary preservatives that gave it a sweetness I didnít really like. It was just soÖ AussieÖ Yea, Iím still a little European, despite riding a kangaroo to school. (If anyone believes I seriously do ride a kangaroo I will throw some Aussie lasagna at you. Hehe, but I am serious.) Desert was apple cake.

We watched a movie and had apple cake, and then went to bed. To cut a long story short. The movie was called ĎYou Got Servedí. It was about dancing and young people, gangs and Iím pretty sure drugs a little. It was alright, but Iíd have much preferred another walk. Oh, and by the way, my pjs are red and have Tweety Bird on them. I wore them with a jumper on top to the movie. I must always be weird, but it was so comfy, and it saved me getting dressed afterwards, rather then when they party may be starting.

The partyÖ ErghÖ It was at the boysí cabin this time so I could stay back and get some sleep. Some kids didnít go to the party, so they stayed back. They did an all nighter; Red Bull, Mother, V, Rockstar. Energy drinks made them stay awake, and the number of empty bottles lying around the day later meant they had stayed up all night. It would be impossible to sleep after that many, and Iím surprised they didnít have a heart attack. I suppose my teacher didnít get them, but they got in too early. I couldnít really say anything. I mean, for my own safety, and it wouldnít be worth it unless anything dangerous was happening. So I went to sleep and woke up hourly, somehow. Iím pretty sure at least one of the girls in our cabin was awake at all times. We were on guard.

The next morning we packed up our things. For breakfast we had tin-can spaghetti on toast. Weird, but it was alright. Hence I say nobody liked it? Not likely, sorry angels.

We squeezed in two activities, one we missed out on the first day. We had the giant swing, about ten metres. We were harnessed in and hoisted up. My harness wasnít on properly; it seriously hurt on the way up when they hoisted me to the top. They though I was holding onto the rope because I was scared, I wasnít, I was in pain. Ah well, I pulled the string and the swing began. It was cool, but I donít remember it, I was too distracted by the pain. They thought I would scream, I didnít. I whimpered. It hurt. So that wasnít fun. A little bruising around my hips and all the other places where the harness was, also the harness on my arms dug in. Such is life.

Then we went swimming. To cut a long story short, not that it was very exciting. I mean, it was a useless activity to drive into the middle of nowhere for. We could swim anywhere. On returning to the cabin to change into my trackies, I found the door was locked. Rather than going and finding a teacher it was easier to break into it. I bent the hooks that held the fly-screen, slid it out, used the groove of a sunscreen bottle to open the lock from the outside and shimmied the window open. I am too good. Odd thing to be proud of, but it was pretty cool I could figure it out.

I watched some chess and we had lunch. Salad sandwiches again, yum. They had ham in them this time. No beetroot though, seeing as hardly anyone liked it. I love beetroot. It was nice though. Only I donít like that there was margarine. I canít stand it. It was nice anyway.

We boarded the bus. We saw the other half of the year nines arriving. I suppose they were pretty sick of the bus. Oh well, their problem. It was a four and a half hours back. I talked to this other kid about firecrackers, of all things, and that was pretty much it. I got stuck in traffic a street away from school. Then we went home.

That basically just sums it all up in about 3,000 words. It was a very good experience, for me anyway. I liked camp. And Iíve just rambled on forever. I wouldnít say Iíd like to do it again, once was more than enough, but it was a very interesting experience and we had a lot of fun.

Updated 03-15-2010 at 04:22 AM by Heathcliff

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    And you wonder why your old lady panics when you head off to camp...

Glad you had fun though. Mwah my special girl.
    Arguments over lasagna :lol: That's up my alley. It is a food group all its own to me. Glad that you had a good time.
    Thank you.
    Wow.
    I didn't expect anybody would read it. It was supposed to be short but it didn't end up that way.
    "The girl with the mouse and the lasagna." Hahaha, that's such a funny line in isolation. You should write a poem with that title.

Cool story. It does sound a little dangerous for kids. I never went to camp, so i don't know what it's like. But I would have loved that as a kid.

Now, being Italian (well, other than me being American ) I'm afraid to ask: What in heaven's name is Austrailian lasagna?
    Virgil,
    "The girl with the mouse and the lasagna." Well, that is basically all of her attributes that I've unleashed. I'll write it and dedicate it to her.

It wasn't incredibly dangerous, in the activities we were all strapped in and harnessed or wearing life-jackets. Event the swimming pool only went up to chest height.

A typo, did I say it somewhere? I'd change it but I wouldn't have the foggiest where it is. Aussie lasagna tastes like it is preserved with sugar substitutes and all full-on Aussies love it. I HATE IT!! I mean, the Italian one I'm used to is darker, and thicker and if you cut it it doesn't all flop onto the plate, instead continuing to stand upright. You can put a knife into Italian lasagna and it will come out clean. The tomato tastes like tomato and carrot and mince meat generally don't go into it together. It is too awesome.
    Nothing worse than bad versions of Italian food, especially to an Italian.
    You have a very nice writing style, Heathcliffe. You took something that is somewhat prosaic and made it quite interesting.

I loved your descriptions of the food, everyone's complaints, your vigilance about sleep, your comments to your teachers...everything wonderfully and sharply observed. You seem fairly easygoing and humorous, and you look at the world with a fond eye. I predict an auspicious future for you!

A suggestion: when you write something really long, put a space between paragrapghs; it makes it much easier to read!
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung
    You have a very nice writing style, Heathcliffe. You took something that is somewhat prosaic and made it quite interesting.

I loved your descriptions of the food, everyone's complaints, your vigilance about sleep, your comments to your teachers...everything wonderfully and sharply observed. You seem fairly easygoing and humorous, and you look at the world with a fond eye. I predict an auspicious future for you!

A suggestion: when you write something really long, put a space between paragrapghs; it makes it much easier to read!
    Thank you!! A full character analysis!! Nobody ever gives me those.

Usually I do leave spaces, I typed it on Word first so it creates the space automatically. That is a good idea actually, I might go in and change it.
    It looks wonderful. You are too cute!
    It really does sound great. It reminds me of when I went to camp as a young(er) girl.

I like how open you are to new foods, and how easy you are to please with meals. I also like how you jumped from that stool thing just because people thought that you wouldn't (or couldn't).
    Hehe, thanks.

I like to eat anything when I'm hungry.
    I ddin't do it because they thought I didn't, they knew I could and would. I did it because I had an opportunity, also, there was no other way down.
    Haha, I like that too. You also fell into the water on purpose because it was new. It's rare to find an existential thirteen year old, I imagine.
    On arrival we began an argument about lasagna and our mothers. I said that they always give us the most pathetic lasagna at camps. I said my mum's was better. Another girl agreed that her mum's was better. Then I said my mum make the best lasagna ever.

It ended up a fully blown argument that lasted all three days, and still ongoing now, involving myself, a few friends and my homeroom teacher. It included factors of all sorts, like the ingredients used to the fact that I was the only Italian one so I claim the rights to what qualifies as good lasagna.
    That's it, I've had enough!
    Now I want Mary's recipe for Italian lasagna
    We arrived and had salad rolls. Everyone else complained about what we were eating. That is awesome lunch to me. I mean, I don't see what their problem was. They should just appreciate it, despite the fact that it isn't junk food.
    They surely appreciate junk food even more. Many can be often defined as a carcass above shoulders with little brain inside
    Sounds like a really fun discussion!
    I agree with qimi
    It is funny.

Maxi: Their teeny little brains result in them continuing to be teeny little teenagers. Of course you want the recipe, it is the dream of all. Only there isn't really a recipe. Nothing is measured at all. It is too awesome to document properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathcliff
    Of course you want the recipe, it is the dream of all. Only there isn't really a recipe. Nothing is measured at all. It is too awesome to document properly.
    Oh, I get it. This is one Italian classified top secret of a very culinary category
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilianus
    Oh, I get it. This is one Italian classified top secret of a very culinary category
    It is NOT top secret.
    If it was, then everybody would know, seeing as my moderately Italian family likes to talk.
    If the moderately Italian family were talking enough, I would already have that recipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilianus
    If the moderately Italian family were talking enough, I would already have that recipe
    And we'd give it to you. SCREAM it to you, actually. Only there isn't really a recipe. Uh. You get ham and cheese and stuff, but the awesome brand that my grandpa gets. And lasagna sheets and boil them. You take, like, three hours to make sauce. And if the sauce isn't awesome, the rest of it is ruined. Eh. I've never made it myself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast