Conversation Between Gladys and Virgil

35 Visitor Messages

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Nice to see you Gladys. I hadn't seen you around in a bit (could be we were just missing each other) and I was wondering. Hope everything is well.
  2. As my family have just read or are reading The Turn of the Screw, the book is much in mind. I've just finished Daisy Miller and liked it.
  3. Hiya! I'm still re-reading The Turn of the Screw, but I'm fairly convinced Neely is all wrong. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day.

4. So pretty a tree.
  5. I want to wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas.

6. Thanks for asking. I had started and read the first five chapters but then got distracted with something else, and I just finished that something else, and I am ready to restart Persuasion. Perhaps tonight. I've been away for a few days and may need to catch up on stuff. Thanks for asking. I'll let you know when I finish it.
  7. Did you ever read Persuasion?
  8. I loved your comment on God in the Evolution thread.
  9. I've never heard of that Ibsen play, and that's his favorite? Should be interesting. I'm a Roman history buff. Youll have to tell me what it's about. Maybe I'll pick it up.

Oh I haven't started Persuasion yet. I will though. Still getting through Kipling's Kim. I got side tracked with a ouple of non-fiction books and Shakespeare's Richard II.
  10. Virgil, I'm half-way through the second of two plays that compose Ibsen's favourite play, Emperor and Galilean, concerning the Roman Emperor Julian the Apostate. With so many characters the play is difficult, and critics have lacked Ibsen's enthusiasm for it.

The only copy I could locate, from a university library, is undated and in good condition with gilt indented lettering. Google dates my copy at 1890, the published date of Hedda Gabler! Interestingly, the latter's allusions to 'vine-leaves in his hair' and 'wine and roses' are clearly explained in Emperor and Galilean.

How was Austen's Persuasion?
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 35
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast