Conversation Between SilentMute and qimissung

38 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thank you, Qimi! I hope you are doing well!
  2. Happy Birthday, Silent Mute!
  3. Thank you, SilentMute!
  4. Hi Silent Mute. Would you consider voting in our contest? It's in the Poetry contest sub-forum. You have to go in through Personal Poetry, I think. It's called "Don't know much about history:

http://www.online-literature.com/for...-about-history

Hope the link works (they haven't been for me, lol) but if it doesn't, you know where it find it, anyway.
  5. I wound up with Don Quixote when JuniperWolf, who initially claimed it, decided reading isn't much fun when you make it work. It is a good book. The book I have looks very small--Walter Starkie's translation. It is a light read. However, I do think Cervantes did a good job in showing the consequences of someone who is delusional. He isn't making fun of Quixote, but he doesn't shy away from the consequences. It is actually two books in one. I just started the second book, which I think I like a little better. I'm sorry to hear about your son's friend. The schizophrenia that develops late in life is the worst kind of schizophrenia. People who develop it in childhood tend to improve when they reach their forties. Our lives don't always turn out the way we want them, but I don't think they are wasted. My stepfather developed a rare terminal illness in his twenties that interfered with his life--and yet I learned a lot from him, and he left my mom and I taken care of.
  6. In the Literature Network area, the Admin made a request for summary writers in Seeking Summary Writers. He wanted to do the works of Shakespeare and Charles Dickens. With Dickens, he pays $50 per book, $5 for an introduction, $5 for a quiz. Shakespeare plays get $30 a piece. My2Cents took Shakespeare, which I'm glad (Shakes intimidates me). I'm doing Dickens. Other people can claim works we're not doing, but many don't see it through. It is a lot of work. Dickens, he wants a chapter by chapter summary plus a character list. Quizzes and introductions are optional. I only do them if they don't have one. You know that huge author area with all the authors on the Forums page--that is where the summaries go.
  7. part 2: It was horrendous watching him literally decend into madness. He's better now-he has a place to live near his father, and he's taking his meds-he wouldn't do that for the longest time.

But it's difficult to be around him for a long time. He doesn't bath much or watch his clothes. He's rather helpless like a young child and manipulative. It is heartbreaking to see that all the dreams he might have had about having a career and a family are gone now, but at least he's no longer a homeless, unloved transient, abandoned by his family.
  8. Hi SilentMute. I'm glad you're well. Tell me a bit more about your online ebay business. How does that work, anyway?

I have never read Oliver Twist. I have seen the 1948 movie, as well as the musical-which is one of my favorite movies. I should try to read it sometime.

Don Qixote is definitely on my "to read" list, although I was planning on doing that next year. When the books are giant like that I get intimidated and read them very slowly, I don't know why. I think it might be the best book in the world, so I am hoping to read it.

I understand why the mental illness aspect of it might make you uncomfortable, but Cervantes isn't making fun of them, is he? Or glorifying the condition, either. Rather, isn't he, among other things, exploring the nature of reality? In any event, I mean for this is help you to feel more comfortable as you read. My son has a friend who developed schizophrenia when he was about 23.
  9. Hello! I hope you are well and well-rested! I'm doing pretty well with my new online selling business on ebay. The only problem is that I've also become a shop-a-holic, and I have not been good about saving or putting aside money to go to the dentist. :/ I'm hoping to finish Oliver Twist and Don Quixote by the end of the month. Oliver is not one of my favorites, but I liked it better as I continued to read it. Quixote I found a tad disturbing, though it is entertaining too. I guess I can't totally find mental illness amusing since many of my relatives suffer from it, and I know how destructive delusions can be.
  10. Hi! I hope you are well! I'm about to finish Nicholas Nickleby, which I think is going to be my new favorite Dickens novel...though he did belabor it a bit. Dickens got paid by the word, and sometimes he really took advantage. I'm very happy! I've sold three things on Ebay this week! Two of them I didn't expect to sell. One guy waited until the last minute before he placed a bid. The other item didn't seem to have much interest, but I had a watcher. So I relisted it, and the third time I got a buyer. So I'm happy. I hope you are well.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 38
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast