Conversation Between DanielBenoit and qimissung

63 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Daniel, I was scrolling through the Lit-Netters favorite poems thread, and I happened to see mine of "King Kong in Chains".

I am so touched-and honored. Thank you.
  2. Thanks for getting back to me. I'm pretty sure it's French. What are the Italian one's you're thinking of?

I will absolutely make a point of seeing that movie. It sounds fascinating. I love movies that try to give a sense of real life and of course, at the same time, something more...
  3. continied. . . . .

It's one of the most moving films I've seen in a long time. It portrays the banal rhythms of life so poetically that we truly believe the film. Not only that, but it is probably one of the only films I've seen that is so skilfully able to be so naturalistic, and yet be strongly spiritual. Not religious, but spiritual.

I wouldn't call this film particuarly depressing, but it certainly is greatly emotional and powerful (on the most unconventional and subtle sense possible) and is not a light film. Either way, you must see it and hopefully you aren't turned off by its neo-realist style.
  4. Hey sorry for answering you belatedly on that question you posted in my blog. Frankly, I can't think of the film. I have some Italian ones in mind that may fit the description, but since you say it was French I'm spent. Sorry

Oh btw, you found totally see the Belgian film The Son. It's from the same great directors of L'Enfant, but it's less depressing. . .in a sense. I won't want to reveal too many of the plot details, but the main synopsis is this carpenter who works at a factory teaching juvenile delinquents becomes obsessed with one of the new young workers. I'll just say right off, this movie is not about what you think it is, and the carpenter is not a perv.

continued. . .
  5. Thanks, Daniel. I think that you write as well as you seem to think I do. I'm always greatly flattered by your belief in my writing. I wish my kids felt the same way! sigh. They usually look nervous whenever I ask them if they want to read something I wrote.

I had to go back and look at your poem again. I missed those two lines. I caught the mythological references, for the most part, I think, and I saw the title, but I missed that. I was wondering why you had capitalized God and I'm only just now getting it! The clouds are breaking open! And I'm still not offended. I find it only more clever, more modern-James Joyce is smiling down on you, even as we speak.

I suspect the title is what is bothering most people. I bet if you changed it the furor would die down. That is an observation, not a suggestion.

Hey, did you ever notice that furor sounds like fuhrer?
  6. My, my, now that's a compliment, especially coming from a poet like you. I am greatly flattered.

In all honesty, those two lines referencing the Creation in Genesis (the ones which I guess are causing all of the controversy) were in fact inspired by Paradise Lost, as since in the poem Milton describes in great detail Satan's reaction to Eve's sensuality. Well what I thinking was that as in the story of Genesis, God made man in his image, naturally God would create something that Adam would desire because he would too. Hence I found it interesting and poetic to think if God had the same desire for Eve as Adam did.

Is that so hateful? Now I know that those two lines can be interpreted any way you wish and I don't expect anybody to even catch that, but either way, I'm quite insulted when all I was doing was writing my reaction to the picture.
  7. Yes, it is ridiculous. I looked at those rules he presented. I would not have said any of them were broken.

Nor did I think your poem was crass. Comedian's now...

Anywho, it was a good poem, in my estimation, very modernistic in style. You pull that off better than almost anyone.
  8. Thanks. After all of this frankly ridiculous controversy It's refreshing to hear someone actually comment on the poem. Thank you very much.

Well that word comes from the extremely beautiful noun petrichor which means " he smell of earth after rain."
  9. Hey, what does petrichorous mean? I looked it up, but could not find it in the dictionary. Thanks. Liked your poem, btw.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 63
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast