Conversation Between Gustavo L. and PoeticPassions

15 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Hello there! I returned here to know other people's impressions on a book I just finished and I've seen your message. I'm glad you came back, and now that I finished my thesis I hope to post here again.
  2. So not sure if you are active on here anymore, but I just started posting again and being involved in the forum... and thought of you. Wanted to say hi
  3. Hi! Good to see you dropping by. I’m fine, thanks. Studying hard, drawing, and trying to listen to more stuff in French. I’m also planning a trip to France and UK after the new year. How about you? Did you go to grad school? Hope all went well.
  4. Hello there! just dropping by to say hello. I haven't been on litnet much these past couple of months.... life is busy.
    How have you been? What's new?
  5. Yes, it is a beautiful poem. I will look for some more translations into English. He is my dad's favorite poem... the sad part about translating poetry is that it loses so much meaning and feeling, but some poetry even in several languages is evocative.

I just got back from a trip as well. Was in Rome and a bit in Florence. It was amazing and I had such a great time...so beautiful!

I will write you a PM soon... for now I must run!
  6. Amazing poem! It carries the very feeling I always tried to grasp every time I write poetry… I searched for other works by him at Internet but all the links I found were in Bosnian. I’ll look for English translations next time I shop at Amazon. Thank you so much for sharing.
  7. MOON
    From the thick dark of a weary day the delicate
    young face of a moon appeared above our heads

Now he sails the whole wide reach of his sky
    waking those who have lost themselves

Before he tires of his shining journey
    before his waxing falls out of step

(before he's swathed on every side
    in white and silver hair)

Carve his sign in the soft white of limestone
    so you may absorb as faithfully as can be

The image of your infinite pain and hope.

-Mak Dizdar
  8. I’ll look forward on your PM and then I'll look after your articles. It’s great to know that you are going to pursue your grad studies. Are you going to study International Relations in your grad school too?

As for me, after having studied literature I joined a doctorate program in Fine Arts, which I hope to finish two years from now.

The German novel is Undine, by Friedrich de La Motte-Fouqué. I can’t read German, so I first read it in a translation by F. E. Bunnett, which is also my favorite translation. It reads like a fairy tale, but has a lot of subtext nonetheless. I really love the book, and would be glad if I could discuss it with a reader like you.

Oh, many, many thanks for your kind comment on my works.
  9. I think you can still find my articles on-line. The newspaper was called THE DAILY (I will PM you with details, and my full name, so you can find me). I studied International Relations... will be going back into academia, because this working thing is not reall, eh, working out I am going to graduate school in Washington D.C. come September.

What do you study? I see you are a student as well?

Too bad all of your writing has been in Portugese (I know some Spanish, but not enough to read poetry in any case, and well no Portugese really, unfortunately... I think it is one of the prettiest langauges, perhaps third, right after French and Italian).

Which German novel are you adapting, if I may know? I look forward to it!
  10. Good to know about your desire of visiting Brazil. I live in a city surrounded by historical small baroque cities and nature beauties that surely make the visit rewarding. I’d be glad to show you that.

(and I would love to dance with you. I mean, if you don’t mind to teach a trick or two to an awful dancer like me. )

Does the source to which you wrote about international issues and world’s injustices still online? I have a strong interest on the subject (I was raised in a somewhat Marxist home, but this is long story ). By the way, what have you studied at college?

As for my writings, I wrote some poetry (in Portuguese) years ago, but since it used to recall some bad, bad memories I destroyed it. There are, of course, academic writings (in Portuguese too) on literature and arts, but creatively speaking I’m more a visual artist than a writer. I just uploaded some of my work to my litnet album “works”.

I’m currently adapting a German Romantic novel into a graphic novel. This one, I hope, will be in English. I’d love to know your opinions on it once I have finished it.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast