Conversation Between Adagio and Mariamosis

15 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. I love the below post by the way! HA! I just wanted to let you know that I am halfway through 'Tess of the D'Uberville' and I am loving it. Thanks for the recommendation!
  2. This copy didn't, however, had I been smart I could have looked online. I had a fair grasp, but there were a few characters that I had to read further to keep up with. Luckily I caught on after a while, and it didn't ruin the story, however, when I read 'The Brothers Karamazov' I will make sure to look into that. Thanks!
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am looking forward to it. Did your translation not have a list of the characters' names in the front of the book? Definitely, when reading Dostoevsky, pick up the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translations... those lists really do help.
  4. I finished 'The Idiot' and would highly recommend it! I had some trouble during the first two parts keeping track of my characters as I am unfamiliar with Russian names but I finally succeeded. The symbolism between the main character, Myshkin, and Christ is uncanny. Well I will say no more so as not to spoil the story for you, but you should definitely read it when you get a chance.
  5. Ahh.. that might be of some importance. Thanks for letting me know!
  6. Sounds good, if you liked Crime and Punishment you'll love The Brothers. Make sure you get the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translation!
  7. I am 250/550 pages, give or take, from finishing 'The Idiot'. I will definitely let you know when I finish, however, there is no question that it will be all positive reviews! An excellent author, and therefore I am going to put your suggestion, 'The Brothers Karamazov', on my next list of books to order!
  8. I was going to make my next Dostoevsky The Idiot, definitely let me know how you get on with it. I have read Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov. Both brilliant but the latter has to be my favourite, it's stunning.

I'm reading Light in August at the moment and you're right, it is excellent. I have read The Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying, both of which have blown me away. Faulkner manages to capture this dark sense of solitude in both works, it really is something. I'd say read As I Lay Dying first and then The Sound and the Fury, but either way you really can't go wrong.
  9. 'Crime and Punishment' really turned me on to Dostoevsky, but I am currently reading 'The Idiot' and cannot put it down. I also have read half of 'Notes From Underground' and hope to finish the other half soon.

'Candide' is the only thing I have read by Voltaire, but I would highly recommend it. (A great present from your sister by the way)

I haven't read much Faulkner, only 'A Light in August', which was an excellent book. I have 'The Sound and the Fury' but haven't opened it yet. Which Faulkner do you find the most interesting?

I haven't read any of the books you listed, but I will definitely look into them. Yes, I think everyday my list gets larger and larger and that I will never be able to finish it.
  10. I will check Major of Casterbridge out. I really loved Tess and Far From the Madding Crowd.

I saw on your About Me that you like Dostoevsky, what's your favourite of his? Also Voltaire, I haven't read any of his works before but recently my sister bought me a great edition of Voltaire's Candide, I have it sitting on my desk waiting to be read... so many books and not enough time!

Have you read any Faulkner? I have recently become addicted to him. I highty recommend. A few of my favourites are: Bronte's Wuthering Heights; Hugo's Les Miserables; Lawrence's Sons and Lovers and Forster's Howards End. All are brilliant and I highly recommend.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast