View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Getting Them Off the Streets

by , 07-21-2016 at 05:03 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Comments about homelessness in the U.S.A.

Here in Amherst, Massachusetts the issue of homelessness has become a major thing recently because of some rather unpleasant people who seem to like to stay in public view. There have been homeless people here for decades, or longer, but that is true of all college towns. In the past, most of the homeless people had the good sense to be polite and keep a low profile, and those who were not polite usually were rather clearly mentally ill. For ...

Updated 07-26-2016 at 02:18 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Where Did My Dreams Go?

by , 07-15-2016 at 12:48 AM (Barmy Blue's Bland Blog)
    So. I’ve gotten myself into a strange mood.
    You remember a few years ago when I looked up depression and found out I just suffered low moods? Well. I’m wondering if that’s true.
    Sometimes I’m happy. Sometimes I’m sad. I’m not normally sad for very long. So not clinical depression. It felt insulting to those with genuine depression to call myself depressed. Well. I’ve been thinking about things. Also I looked it up again a while ago. I believe I mentioned that before. And based on my ...

Updated 07-15-2016 at 12:58 AM by Bluebiird

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Terms of Engagement

by , 07-08-2016 at 03:59 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Or
    Words and Things

The name is not the thing, but calling things something defines them and, to a significant degree, determines the nature of the discussion of those things. As an illustrative example, a few years ago some people decided to redefine the word "gender". At that time gender was a term in grammar, a set of classifications of nouns and pronouns, and that was all; although some dictionaries also included something about it being a humorous term for sex. ...
  4. Logical Problems in Climate Change

by , 07-03-2016 at 05:18 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Although the easiest place to find poor logic is in the climate change arguments; poor reasoning and logical fallacies are frequently used in most science, politics, and other large issues. In a perfect world the campaign for presidency of the U.S.A. would be a matter of logical arguments, and voters could decide who to vote for on the basis of logic and evidence, but instead there has been a long series of ad hominem arguments.

Unfortunately, it seems that people are happy to present ...

Updated 07-05-2016 at 04:55 PM by PeterL (notes and links added)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Drowning in Snot and Tears

by , 06-29-2016 at 10:34 AM (Barmy Blue's Bland Blog)
    Alternative title: Flushing the system
    Alternative alternative title: Some pun about waterworks
    Alternative alternative alternative title: Why doesn’t she love me?
    Alternative alternative alternative alternative title: Biggest Snot Bubbles Ever

So. It’s not really an unreasonable time to be up and about. Well. It isn’t unless you factor in that I didn’t actually get to sleep until late. If I’m lucky I’ve had four hours, which might explain a few things. Well. ...

Updated 06-29-2016 at 10:46 AM by Bluebiird

Categories
    Odd Dreams , My Snow Dog