View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

That Time of the Month

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
or
Is Astrology Valid?

I think that women have gotten a bad rap with respect to PMS. It appears that many people, maybe even most people, act up around the dark of the Moon. Women have been using their monthly period as an excuse, but I think that is a red herring, because many men act as badly but they don’t have that excuse. Unfortunately, I have nothing except personal observations as evidence for this, so I have to shoot from the hip on this one.

It is quite possible that this is not a universal condition. Just as many women have no sign of PMS and are quite pleasant, and there are some men who seem pleasant around the dark of the Moon. But some people do get kind of strange around that time of the month, and today is one of those days. This morning I went to Starbucks early enough to avoid the usual bunch of early drinkers and sleepless people, but they got in there pretty soon and started making noise. One of the local alcoholics seemed to be getting loaded already, but I’ve never seen him completely sober, so I can’t be sure. I try to sit out of the way, but they crowded around where I was, as if I made the place more comfortable. Usually they stay out of the way, but this is the dark of the Moon, and it was raining for a while, so they stayed inside instead of panhandling of the sidewalk.

Later on I went elsewhere and was treated to two rants, neither of which made enough sense to fill an amoeba's brain, but they weren’t nasty; although someone else recounted a very strange and somewhat violent encounter with someone who claims to be a CNA. The one who recounted that experience called police and told them the story looking for ways to avoid future problems. And there was the very strange reaction to a comment that I made to a post on Facebook.

Things like this happen every day, but they are, or seem to be, more common around the dark of the Moon. I am only writing this now, because these events are fresh in my mind, but I have thought that there was something going on sometimes that caused most people to act in some peculiar way, and the dark of the Moon and the Full Moon are the clearest examples of such things, but I don’t think the Moon is always involved. Maybe I should look for funding and investigate such events. I might even want to look into the validity of Sidereal Astrology. It has already been found that Tropical Astrology doesn’t correlate with anything, but certain planetary aspects showed positive correlations, and no one has ever done an analysis of sidereal astrology (I won’t go into the difference, because it is rather complicated).

It makes some sense that there might be some effect from the relative positions of the Sun and the Moon together. Those positions result in higher than usual tides, and they sometimes cause earthquakes, so maybe the pulls in certain directions do something. Or it might be that the lack of natural light at night does something, but most people don’t even see the night sky.

Just to clarify, I am not excluding myself from whatever effect there is. This morning I started writing a different blog post about the misfortune we have with respect to the closings some decades ago of the mental hospitals and public homes for the mentally retarded (or whatever they are called these days), and the relationship between those people not being kept in those places and the increase in the homeless population. But that subject tis too large and complicated for a single blog post. But if those places were still in operation, then they would crowd into the corner of Starbucks where I am sitting.

What do you think? Are the stars or the Moon affecting human behavior, and where could I find funding to investigate the matter?

Updated 06-07-2016 at 01:43 PM by PeterL

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

This is the excellent foppery of the world, that,
    when we are sick in fortune,--often the surfeit
    of our own behavior,--we make guilty of our
    disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars: as
    if we were villains by necessity; fools by
    heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and
    treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards,
    liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of