View RSS Feed

Reflections on the puddle of life

1. 2013 in books

by , 12-31-2013 at 05:46 AM (Reflections on the puddle of life)
    It’s been another busy reading year, and an interesting one as they generally are. I had two reading goals this year: to read more books written by women, and to read more non-fiction. The first goal I have met with ease, with 65% of my reading by female writers. My second goal has proven more of a challenge and though I have read a few non-fiction books, not nearly as many as I had planned. It is a goal I will carry forward into my next reading year. Of course I have been doing a lot of factual ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 2012 in books

by , 12-30-2012 at 03:18 PM (Reflections on the puddle of life)
    It's a little early, but I have some time so I thought I'd post this now. At the beginning of the year I set myself a challenge to read one longer book (600+ pages) per month. I didn't succeed in that challenge, but I did manage to read more longer books and/or series' of books and I learned that I could and I learned that I enjoyed them (when they were the right books, of course) and I learned that there are some great long books out there, just waiting to be delved into. Of the ones that I did ...

Updated 01-02-2013 at 08:55 AM by TheFifthElement

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Reading challenges

by , 06-30-2012 at 09:59 AM (Reflections on the puddle of life)
    It's the end of June and already I'm thinking about my reading challenge for next year. I think that because this year's reading challenge has been such a rewarding experience, and now I simply have too many long books to get through in 12 months, that it's got me to thinking about how I carry this forward into 2013. Not that I'm all about advanced planning or anything.

Reflecting back on this year, it's been a great experience. I've been ploughing through those longer novels and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Planets

by , 03-22-2012 at 08:18 AM (Reflections on the puddle of life)
    I don't know if anyone has noticed this or not, but right now it's a great time for taking a look at the planets. Well, in UK it is anyway

So, at the moment, just after sunset the planets Venus, Jupiter and Mars are all visible. Venus in particular is astonishingly bright and fairly high in the night sky. Being as I'm rather keen on all things you have to crane your neck to see (including tall buildings, giraffes and, of course, clouds) a number of years ago we purchased a telescope ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 3

by , 03-17-2012 at 11:38 AM (Reflections on the puddle of life)
    I'm not sure if I've said this before or not, but I'm going to ask anyway: what is it about the number 3? Is it really a 'magic' number? I wonder.

Recently I read this really ace book called The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa. If you haven't read it, I can recommend it. Not much happens, but the professor (who has only an 80 minute memory) is, or was, a professor of mathematics and much of the book involves the magic of number theory which, as a non-mathematician, I found ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 35 12345611 ... LastLast