View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Miracle Miles

by , 10-14-2018 at 02:35 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There I was, walking down the Miracle Mile in Tucson, AZ; I'd already found out that the people I was in Tucson to see had escaped the city, So I was heading back toward I-10 to hitch hike home. I had spent the previous night in a Motel 6 near Phoenix and had breakfast nearby before going to Tucson. After I found out they weren't there, there was nothing to do except follow their example.

Apparently, I looked like a mark, because when I walked past a bar that had its door open in ...

Updated 10-23-2018 at 04:03 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Monarchy

by , 10-07-2018 at 04:04 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I Have lived my life so far in a federal republic, and I have seen how poorly that works. Republics try to give a voice to everyone that can be involved. Democracy is even worse, because everyone has a voice and a vote, even the insane, drunk, or mentally defective, and results often show the influence of such people. Aristocracy all too often deteriorates into plutocracy or oligarchy. If we are talking about governing a major country, then we are more interested in results than in process. ...
  3. On Starting a Religion

by , 10-01-2018 at 06:10 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This was written as an informative and was not intended to denigrate religion.

There is an ancient tradition of starting religions for fun or profit or as tools for propaganda, and as ancient as the tradition is, it is thoroughly modern also. I first became interested in that practice while watching the TV show "Route 66". In that episode, the heroes met an evangelist whose car had broken down. Todd and Buzz got the car going, but the evangelist had the lovely line, "I ...

Updated 10-01-2018 at 07:10 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Early or Late

by , 09-27-2018 at 03:56 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I recently saw an item somewhere about morning people being more optimistic than other humans, but I didn’t have time right then to read it, so I looked for it again this morning. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find that article, I found one about morning people being proactive, and I am a bit dubious about that, because it was based on a smallish sample of college students, who might been joking when they answered. Then, this morning, I looked again and found on about how morning people are happier, ...
  5. Marching Morons

by , 09-22-2018 at 02:04 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In the early 1950’s the great author Cyril M. Kornbluth wrote Marching Morons, a novella about a future society where the overwhelming majority of humans are morons, high end, but morons nonetheless. The world was actually run by the small percent of people of great intelligence and patience who ran everything and gave the morons the illusion that they were doing things.

The people who ran things eventually decided to make life easier and reduce the population by sending the plebeians ...
    Tags: kornbluth, satire
    Categories
    Uncategorized