View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. The Joy of False Premises

by , 02-05-2019 at 05:30 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A couple of days ago I was involved in an excellent example of the problem with false premises. If one selects the premises of an argument properly, then one can prove any argument using pseudo-logical methods. That is why using false premises is a logical fallacy.

I was just trying to provide some interesting small talk and mentioned how I had again found a phishing site that was using one of my books as bait for people to leave their credit card information. I recounted informing ...
  2. Spotting the Lies

by , 10-26-2018 at 01:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was working on a work of fiction, when I realized that what I had one character complain about was a major problem in today's world. The character was talking about setting up a school that would teach the basics of Rhetoric and Logic, so that the graduates would later be able to make better arguments and to detect fallacious arguments. The problem is that most people never learn the basics of argumentation and logic, so they can't tell when someone is using a logical fallacy, and much of the ...
  3. Fun Uses for False Premises

by , 09-19-2017 at 03:12 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I started writing about false premises as a logical fallacy, when I realized that false premises have frequently been used as the basis for an ideology. By selecting a suitable premise one can "prove" pretty much anything. Founders of political, religious, and social movements have usually used false premises as the bases for their movements. The premises are often stated outright as the principles of the organization, but they are sometimes unstated or misstated.

False ...

Updated 09-20-2017 at 05:29 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Educational Shortcomings

by , 06-20-2017 at 04:09 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Educational systems seem to fail everyone in some significant way. Here in the U.S.A. elementary and secondary school teachers are generally under-trained and underpaid, so they arenít fully prepared to teach children, and there are major problems with the curriculum they are expected to teach. The curriculum doesn't include many things that should be included, and it does include many things that are a waste of time.

One thing that I was thinking of was basic logic. Many people ...
  5. On Causation

by , 12-28-2015 at 10:51 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Sometimes I get the impression that most people donít understand causation, as in every event is caused by something(s) that came before; things donít just happen without anything causing them. Something causes something else to happen, and that cause was caused by something else entirely. For example, when one drops a piece of lead from oneís hand, it falls; the effect is falling, and there are at least two causes that team up to produce the effect: dropping the piece of metal and gravity, and ...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast