View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Facts Versus Myths

by , 12-14-2018 at 07:12 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Facts Versus Myths

Once again today, I encountered someone who was unwilling to accept facts as facts and opined that facts were opinions, and that their "facts" were opinions. This is the kind of thinking that states as fact that someone turned water into wine, or some other absurdity was actually done. Such things also show up in politics, and I expect that ignorance of history together with a desire that certain things are the bases for culture lead people to decide to ...

Updated 12-14-2018 at 08:41 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Political Correctness and the Climate

by , 05-20-2017 at 03:17 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Among a wide swath of Americans there are several topics about which disagreement is not permitted; these include: race, gender, religion, disabilities, war, trade, crime, punishment, drugs, climate change, and a variety of other issues. The committee of political purity has looked at these matters and decreed that there is one single opinion permitted for these matters, and straying from the approved opinion is strictly forbidden. For most matters it is simply a matter of people with strong opinions ...
  3. Thinking Scientifically

by , 12-09-2015 at 10:51 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Once again I am going to rant about how people believe hype in preference to science. Earlier today his problem came up in conversation. I donít remember exactly how we got around to discussing Cholesterol, but I mentioned the fact that even the NIH has admitted that the idea that serum cholesterol doesnít cause heart disease. This has been known with complete confidence for the last thirty years, or so, but it was only rarely put forth in consumer level literature, so most people believed the myth ...

Updated 12-09-2015 at 02:05 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized