who violently sweep your house
    empty of its furniture,
    still treat each guest honorably.
    He may be clearing you out
    for some ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Alcohol and Development

by , 12-01-2014 at 09:18 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    For some reason I was thinking about the unfortunate matter of prohibitions on alcohol that are age based and the matter of binge drinking and stupidity. It probably came to mind because there is an oversized university near here, and it isnít easy to get a sandwich and a pint of ale together (some fools think that it will encourage alcoholism or something like that). It is sad that the custom of consuming alcoholic beverages with meals is dying out, but thatís what the people who think that they ...

Updated 12-02-2014 at 10:23 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. John Ashbery: Some Personal Reflections

JOHN ASHBERY

Part 1:

Stephen Burt, a poet and Harvard professor of English, has compared the now famous poet John Ashbery(1927- ) to T. S. Eliot, calling Ashbery "the last figure whom half the English-language poets alive thought a great model, and the other half thought incomprehensible." Ashbery's ncreasing critical recognition by the 1970s transformed him from an obscure avant-garde experimentalist into one of America's most important poets, though still ...
  4. John Ashbery: Some Personal Reflections

JOHN ASHBERY

Part 1:

Stephen Burt, a poet and Harvard professor of English, has compared the now famous poet John Ashbery(1927- ) to T. S. Eliot, calling Ashbery "the last figure whom half the English-language poets alive thought a great model, and the other half thought incomprehensible." Ashbery's ncreasing critical recognition by the 1970s transformed him from an obscure avant-garde experimentalist into one of America's most important poets, though still ...
  5. 11.28.14

There are so many secrets of this life
    Hidden in the breeze,
    I wouldn't tell, but keep them safe
    In these melodies-
    In daytime I listen to my old, sweet friend,
    the brightest songs
    of the minstrel, to myself suspend,
    and my soul belongs
    in the windiest leaves, in a smile,
    to rise up, to fly
    In a single straight line, for a while