View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. New Ethics

by , 08-15-2023 at 03:23 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Maybe it's just in this area, but it seems like the standards for ethics and honesty have changed in the last few years. While it is easy to point at Trump as the paragon of these new standards, he isn't the only one, but no one has produced such a wide range of new ethical standards. The sexual ethical standards of Hollywood recruiters were a “special case”, because they were not used in other industries to any significant degree. But Trump had the nerve to apply those standards to a casual encounter ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Unmarketting

by , 10-09-2022 at 03:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    We all know that the advertising and marketing businesses sell the worst things to the people who are least capable of understanding that they are being robbed. There is nothing new about convincing people to pay for things that will do them no good at all. Socrates ranted against useless products twenty five hundred years, and in thanks, the leaders of Athens ordered him to drink a poison hemlock brew. In the end, Socrates was dead, and written language, for one thing, was more entrenched. The ...
  3. Falsifying Data

by , 07-23-2022 at 03:42 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Today, July 22, 2022, I ran into another example of someone(s) trying to control how people thought about something by controlling the data. Specifically, it was in regard to the Cambrian Explosion. The manipulator of facts had a set of conclusions and edited the facts to get there, and other opinions be damned. That was how news media in the Soviet Union turned opinion toward the government, and it is how the U.S. Government tries to turn opinion in its favor. That method is easiest to see in regard ...
  4. Disinformation

by , 05-19-2021 at 03:42 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have written about the persistence of ignorance before, and I wish I had adequate data to determine the cause. I don't think that actual scientists are very likely to hold onto information that has been shown to be false, because they research their subject before they go further into it. Unfortunately, there are some people who write articles on scientific matters who do not bother with researching.

Earlier today, I looked for articles about the “ozone hole”, because that has ...
  5. Are They Lying?

by , 08-03-2020 at 07:12 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was thinking about writing about the misfortune that people are acting up about racism, but I was listening to TV coverage of an electrical storm that has produced a tornado, when the reporters said many things that were false. It was clear that they didn't know much about weather and probably never studied meteorology, and they certainly never bothered reading the National Weather Service information about warnings and watches. They tried to make the thunderstorm sound like something exciting ...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast