View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. On Starting a Religion

by , 10-01-2018 at 06:10 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    This was written as an informative and was not intended to denigrate religion.

There is an ancient tradition of starting religions for fun or profit or as tools for propaganda, and as ancient as the tradition is, it is thoroughly modern also. I first became interested in that practice while watching the TV show "Route 66". In that episode, the heroes met an evangelist whose car had broken down. Todd and Buzz got the car going, but the evangelist had the lovely line, "I ...

Updated 10-01-2018 at 07:10 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Truthiness

by , 11-03-2017 at 06:49 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    "Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see." Various as far back as Alfred the Great

I have become a little dubious of the ability of many people to tell the difference between facts and fiction. I was going to title this ‘Truthiness’, but I found that truthiness’ has been redefined to mean something having the appearance of truth although it is not. That is part of the problem, but I am concerned with things that a simply not true at all, but people assert ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. It's None of My Business

by , 06-11-2017 at 03:48 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I looked at the news to day, and there was an article about people demonstrating against sharia law in the U.S. and people counter demonstrating. am not intimately familiar with sharia, but this is an example of people shoving their religion into other people's lives. Those demonstrations were all around the country. I also recently ran across a video about Dearborn, Michigan, which has become a target for Muslim immigrants. In Dearborn the population is already fifty percent Muslim, and apparently ...
  4. Fighting Big Lies

by , 05-28-2017 at 03:05 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    “A big lie (German: große Lüge) is a propaganda technique. The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_lie

“I have said it thrice: What I tell you three times is true." The Bellman in “The Hunting of the Snark” https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Hunting_of_the_Snark ...
  5. Public Domain

by , 03-14-2016 at 04:38 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    So who really owns what is in the public domain, and I am referring to intellectual property? This should be a question, because no one (no individual or group of individuals) owns what is in the public domain. This came up because of a discussion of something that J. K. Rowling is writing in regard to North American wizarding. She takes some terms from American Indian spiritual practices, and some people seem to be very upset about that. It is my opinion that Rowling has as much right to use such ...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast