View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. The Eight-Sided House

by , 01-08-2008 at 09:15 PM (Ramblings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia)
    Hey, as long a we are going haunting, we'll hit the old hometown. You can find this place on the internet. I've driven by it when you couldn't see it for the weeds. Unlike Cullop's Old Stone Tavern here in Atkins, they intend to restore this one. Oh, in case you are confused, I grew up in Marion, and wife and I graduated there. Kids went or go to school there. I moved from Marion to Atkins without moving. They rezoned the towns. Now this is Atkins instead of Rt. 4 Marion. Easier for the 911 addresses. ...
    Categories
  2. History in the Poetry of Roger White

WHITE'S HISTORY

"A poet's life, any life, is a process of unfolding realization… a responsibility for poetic values, poetry is a way not only of knowing but also of living in the world, straining towards feelings of consciousness in which what is outside is fused with what lies within the self." - Veronica Brady, introduction to South of My Days: A Biography of Judith Wright, , Angus and Robertson, Sydney, 1998.

Updated 02-26-2012 at 12:32 AM by Ron Price (to do a partial edit of this document)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sir Thomas Wyatt: Renaissance Playboy

After posting my little imitation of a Wyatt poem, I realized that some of those kind enough to take the time to be reading this blog might not know much about Wyatt or his work, so here's an entry dedicated to the playboy who brought the sonnet to England.

Life: Here is a picture of Sir Thomas Wyatt (1503-1542), which, as far as I am aware, is the only extant portrait of him. I remember being rather disappointed with this portrait upon first seeing it because it makes him look ...
    Categories
  4. I'm a Schmuck

I had some weird experience today. I had a minor car accident. Mind you there was no other car, just a solo accident. I drove into a curb. It was out of the parking lot at work. Good Lord I've only been driving out of that parking lot for over 20 years. The way the parking lot is arranged is that in front of the building is a curb that wraps around a paved parking lot. The parking lot is fairly large and the sidewalk/curb surrounds it except for an openning on each end to go in and out. ...
    Categories
  5. Sun Dogs Are Awesome

by , 01-24-2008 at 07:32 PM (Kiz_Paws Bag Of Trix)
    Sun Dogs really are cool! Their scientific name is parhelion (plural: parhelia). A sun dog is a common bright circular spot on a solar halo, and is an optical phenomenon caused by the reflection (or refraction) of sunlight by small ice crystals that make up cirrus or cirrostratus clouds. More often than not, two or even more sun dogs can be seen on opposite sides of the sun at the same time.

Sun dogs appear usually at sunrise or sunset, but there are exceptions to this, of course. ...

Updated 11-20-2008 at 01:02 PM by kiz_paws

Categories
    Uncategorized