View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. Eternal souls?

by , 05-30-2020 at 02:37 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Over the decades I have had various thoughts about the concept of the eternal soul. I like the idea, and I find it horrible that I might someday become nothing. On the other hand, the ideas of Heaven and Hell are downright silly. The ideas expressed in “Thanatopsis”. By William Cullen Bryant seem to be reasonable and logical. My personal preference was for the ancient Indo-European concept of reincarnation after 49 days in the Underworld.

The matter of reincarnation seemed very ...

Updated 05-31-2020 at 05:06 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Food Trend

by , 07-13-2020 at 07:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don’t espouse conspiracy theories, but something along those lines is the best explanation that I can find for the trend in recent decades away from high quality foods and toward foods that are minimally nutritious and sometimes toxic. When I was younger, beans were eaten seldom and always properly cooked, but in the last few decades there has been a trend toward eating more beans that are poorly cooked beans and various bean derivatives, even though it is well known that beans contain toxins ...

Updated 07-13-2020 at 07:33 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The End is Near

by , 09-30-2020 at 02:23 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I had expected Trump’s re-election campaign to die from major illness on his part. I thought it would be physical illness, but it seems that moral and psychological illness is the reason. It was in this the last week of September, and there were two major components to Trump's demise: the report of his federal income tax return hurt him, but Trump scoffed it as fake news, even though we had already known the information in general, but the details filled in a lot of the details, even though the ...

Updated 09-30-2020 at 10:29 PM by PeterL

Tags: biden, drop out, trump
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Fiscal Conservatism

by , 01-06-2021 at 11:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It as been a while since the term “fiscal conservatism” was in common use, but in the years after WW II and before Reagan’s Alzheimer’s term it was in common use, and the concept was embraced by both of the major parties; although the Party of Lincoln was usually more for it, because the party of FDR was more focused on social problems, and some people thought that throwing money at a problem would eliminate it.

Ronnie showed us that it made no difference what one’s political or ...

Updated 01-06-2021 at 07:46 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sustainable population

by , 06-04-2022 at 09:29 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In addition to the pressure on farmland by the rising population, the amount of arable land that could be lost to oceans as sea level rises with further global warming is huge, and low-lying lands are some of the most fertile.
    If all glacial ice melted, then it is estimated that sea level would rise 230 feet. Since the last glacial maximum, sea level has risen about 400 feet, but different sources give a variety of figures. It has been estimated that sea level will rise by about twenty feet ...