View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Is it All a Simulation?

by , 07-25-2020 at 10:13 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    The concept of reality being a computer simulation has been popular for some time, and I understand that is the hook in The Matrix, which I have never seen. One of the earliest serious consideration of the concept was Bostrom’s paper in 2001 (link below).

Bostrom’s concept runs into trouble with Occam’s Razor; it introduces a complication that is unnecessary. I have never seen the point of creating a huge simulation, when it would be easier to simply go and take a look. Bostrom ...
  2. Food Trend

by , 07-13-2020 at 07:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I don’t espouse conspiracy theories, but something along those lines is the best explanation that I can find for the trend in recent decades away from high quality foods and toward foods that are minimally nutritious and sometimes toxic. When I was younger, beans were eaten seldom and always properly cooked, but in the last few decades there has been a trend toward eating more beans that are poorly cooked beans and various bean derivatives, even though it is well known that beans contain toxins ...

Updated 07-13-2020 at 07:33 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. News and In Other News

by , 07-12-2020 at 06:10 PM (Barmy Blue's Bland Blog)
    Well. The surgery went well.
    He came out with no complications. So I've worried myself needlessly.
    I wasn't super worried. I just think it's good to remember that ANY surgery carries risks no matter how routine. Just like it's wise to remember that fire is dangerous. ANY fire. And knives are dangerous so you must always be careful and observant and never forget thay you could cut yourself if you're not careful or worse.
    Anyway. He had to have a few days to rest. Had to drink ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. The Next Great Flood of the Mississippi

by , 07-04-2020 at 08:34 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A number of years ago, I read about the relocation of the mouth of the Mississippi River, the Old River Control Structure, and related matters, and I concluded that the Mississippi would relocate someday, and it would have huge economic effects on the U.S.A., especially the great Plains and agriculture commodities. It hasn't happened, yet, but it is inevitable. With a huge amount of money could be invested in constructions that would minimize the dislocations and economic problems, but that investment ...
  5. Corunavirus Journal Update (la Deuxiem)

Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY View Post
    Covid-19 testing is really mind-boggling out here in Gold Country, USA. First, we need to have everybody tested (face the facts, Jack)... but some politicians say no for Heavens-know-why, and there still are not enough test kits for e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e to get tested. I was lucky (twice)... let me explain:

Monday, late evening last, I get a weird dry cough episode and start to feel short of breath... paranoia sets in. OK, taking friend to doctor's appt. Tuesday where we both go for checkups.
    Categories
    , , ,
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast