View RSS Feed

OrphanPip

1. Uncertain Fate for Transgender Rights Bill

I've decided to write a bit about a current bill, that is currently before a Parliamentary committee, which would make explicit the extension of Canada's Human Rights provisions to transgender persons.

The bill hasn't got much media attention at all, and like usual transgender issues are ignored unless they are being used for some salacious thrill on daytime talk shows. There are two main reasons why I wanted to try and do a little publicity for the bill.

First ...
    Categories
    LGBT Issues
  2. What I've Been Up To; Thoughts on Graduate School

Hello Forumites,

It has been a while since I last communicated with everyone through one of my self-indulgent blog posts. Unfortunately, I don't really have any pressing concerns to spill my heart out about, which leaves that most mundane of blog genres: the update.

Leaving aside my romantic misadventures in recent days, I've enjoyed the experience of meeting lots of new people through my MA cohort. As a Montreal local, I get to play the role of guide quite often, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Making an odd decision.

So, I haven't done a blog in a while, but I'm going to seek lit-net's advice on a subject. Some of you may know that I've been working part-time on a B.A. since completing my microbiology degree. I've never really liked lab work, and though I love science, I don't love doing science. At first I started studying the arts, political science and literature primarily, as a hobby taking advantage of subsidized education in Quebec.

Now, I will receive my B.A. in April, and on a whim I ...

Updated 02-10-2012 at 08:31 PM by OrphanPip

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Save my Forest!

Well for a little while I've known about this weird society dedicated to the protection of a little forest on the Western part of the Island of Montreal.

The thing about the forest is that it happens to be named after my family. It is on the part of the island where my family came and settled in 18th century, back then we had some money and clout in the region. 200 years later we were a bunch of dairy farmers, time changes everything .

A little nagging part of me ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The Red Light is Just About Put Out

I am inspired to write about a local news item I read today.

There is a street in Montreal officially called Boulevard Saint-Laurent, but most often affectionately called the Main. It has historically been the dividing line between English and French Montreal, as a result it was a no man's land that created room for immigrants to carve out their own space in the city. As a result, the Main was also a street that was largely populated by some of the poorest members of Montreal society. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast