View RSS Feed

kittypaws

Let's face it .... we all get bored... what to do about it.

Rate this Entry
What do you do to escape your everyday life? Let’s face it. Most of us live day to day in our life that is boring…..Are you Depressed (and don’t realize it) or do you just need an escape? If for nothing more than a JOLT to your emotional health and personal well-being what do you do to bring living (even if fantasy) back into your life?
Fantasy does count but not as much as actually doing.

Here are a few suggestions: There are so many things that you can do to escape this strange civilized world we as humans have created. Cook a meal that is different than anything you have ever tried. . Go to performances of your favorite band … or go to an art gallery. Go camping or hiking and experience nature. The key is to get started with something new.

One of the reports I read said boredom is most often conceptualized as "the averse experience of wanting, but being unable, to engage in satisfying activity." I think maybe my mind is too active but not directed; I will need to work on finding a satisfying activity…… I reckon we all have to get up off our asses and do something about it.

Only you can find your own excitement to dismiss your boredom (and possible depression). Take risks, go on adventures. And in whatever you do, be transparent and honest and safe. The real you will help you find what will make you happiest.

Here is wikipedia take on boredom....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boredom
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So many things can go wrong with the various activities you mention, which can lead to frustration and boredom The same is true about every activity, of course. Probably the activity that least often leads to boredom and frustration, for me, is reading a good book. Even this has problems of course: you might find the current book boring and frustrating, you can't read all the time, you get too tired to read,... I think "aiming too high can be a big problem, so trying "hiking and camping and experience nature" might end up as a hard, frustrating, and boring trudge along a muddy track. And it is only something you can do infrequently. Maybe aiming to read a good book, and take a break by walking round the park to experience nature, would be a safer bet.
    Pretty much every culture's wisdom tradition seems to emphasize as the most important goal in life peace - specifically that the most important thing is to seek peace, and then share peace, so I'd start there. :-)

Ever since I have come across the quote of Stevenson, that "There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty to be happy. When we are, we sow anonymous benefits on the world." (The second sentence I think is slightly paraphrased.) I've been exploring. . .

And a lot of others saw this as well, that peace work begins with ourselves..These are just my own thoughts, but I have found they are true in most spheres of life.

I've also found that it can be simplified even a little further, and I realized - simply to always choose things that bring renewal, that alone will bring everythign else that is good. :-)

As for being in nature - that is the greatest thing! I don't know that there is anything that is more refreshing, more uplifting or more healthy than that..

Travel is good, too - so wonderful - as Rumi says, it brings the power of love back into life. And yet - being at peace in one place is good, and helps reduce burden on the earth. As Emerson says - even if I go to Rome, it is still much the same. (Of course, by him said in a much more eloquent way!)
    Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac
    So many things can go wrong with the various activities you mention, which can lead to frustration and boredom The same is true about every activity, of course. Probably the activity that least often leads to boredom and frustration, for me, is reading a good book. Even this has problems of course: you might find the current book boring and frustrating, you can't read all the time, you get too tired to read,... I think "aiming too high can be a big problem, so trying "hiking and camping and experience nature" might end up as a hard, frustrating, and boring trudge along a muddy track. And it is only something you can do infrequently. Maybe aiming to read a good book, and take a break by walking round the park to experience nature, would be a safer bet.
    Ahhh... mal4mac
    Life is a challenge and unless you are willing to experience the unexpected then your life will always be boring. To go beyond what you know and conquer it is rewarding!
    I don't know you but I sense you have more than what you share.

When you read your books don't you travel within them? Live within the character....and if you are reading books that bore and frustrate you then I would suggest you change what you are reading?

You can never aim too high as long as your mind set is ready.
    Kittypaws
    Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI
    Pretty much every culture's wisdom tradition seems to emphasize as the most important goal in life peace - specifically that the most important thing is to seek peace, and then share peace, so I'd start there. :-)

Ever since I have come across the quote of Stevenson, that "There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty to be happy. When we are, we sow anonymous benefits on the world." (The second sentence I think is slightly paraphrased.) I've been exploring. . .

And a lot of others saw this as well, that peace work begins with ourselves..These are just my own thoughts, but I have found they are true in most spheres of life.

I've also found that it can be simplified even a little further, and I realized - simply to always choose things that bring renewal, that alone will bring everythign else that is good. :-)

As for being in nature - that is the greatest thing! I don't know that there is anything that is more refreshing, more uplifting or more healthy than that..

Travel is good, too - so wonderful - as Rumi says, it brings the power of love back into life. And yet - being at peace in one place is good, and helps reduce burden on the earth. As Emerson says - even if I go to Rome, it is still much the same. (Of course, by him said in a much more eloquent way!)
    All great words of wisdom and I agree about peace and paying it forward. These are all good things but what keeps you from boredom?