View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. Unclear About Standards

by , 06-25-2015 at 03:08 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Increasingly over time I have noticed that people are less impressed by the difference between correct and incorrect, but the problem has become a serious problem in recent time. In former times there were criminals who made a living by ignoring standards, but in recent decades it has even gotten into elementary schools, where there seems to be little difference between correct and incorrect answers.

Thatís a minor problem in elementary school, but it seems to have seeped into many ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Why Cloud Computing

by , 07-02-2015 at 07:02 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In the last few years cloud computing has again gotten a push from networking and server owning companies. This is the third push into cloud computing that I have noticed, but I might have missed one.

The first big push for cloud computing was in the early 1990ís, and it was led by Oracle and Larry Ellison. A number of cloud programs became available, including Star Office, a cloud office suite, that has since morphed into Open Office and Libre Office. That initial try was roundly ...
  3. Noise

by , 07-09-2015 at 04:19 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I donít like noise, and I have a rather broad definition of it. There are many kinds of noise, ranging from dogs howling at nothing to infants bawling to pieces of steel falling on concrete to motorcycles converting gasoline to noise to monster trucks tearing down the road to ďwall of soundĒ style music to evil politicians speaking and so on. Itís Summer, so there are more noisy engines running than there might be at other times of the year, so they are what triggered this rant.

Updated 07-09-2015 at 06:27 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Beyond Tattoos

by , 07-13-2015 at 05:02 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Next Step in Gilding the Lily

I was noting some piercings recently, when I remembered fencing scars. There I a nice description of the application of them in Royal Flash by George McDonald Fraser, in which the main character is given two scars in a practice duel with a master. The scars were as part of a disguise, and the novel is similar to The Prisoner of Zenda. The fencing scars were especially popular in the later 19th and early 20th centuries in Germany, but they were not rare ...

Updated 07-14-2015 at 06:17 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Dropping Rís and Shifting Vowels

by , 07-16-2015 at 09:42 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Some People Do Drop Their Rís

It has been said many times that New Englanders drop their Rís, but it is not true. I knew a little about linguistics, but not all that much, and even my maternal unit, who was a fairly good linguist opined that New England accents dropped Rís. Who was I to disagree?

So there I was in Lebanon, New Hampshire working with a guy from South Carolina, a guy from West Virginia, and the regional manager was from Maine. The South Carolinian ...