View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Good Political Leaders

by , 01-03-2017 at 06:04 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There is a lot more ambition in politics than intelligence or good sense. This isnít just a modern problem, but the ancients were also afflicted by politicians with big egos and small brains. That combination tends to lead to people thinking that their preferences are actually best for everyone, without realizing that personal preferences are just that, personal and preferences. Just as different people prefer different foods so it is with politics. And Iím not referring to the great divide between ...
  2. Persistence of Ignorance

by , 12-24-2016 at 04:55 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Earlier today I was shocked to learn that there still are people in Amherst, Massachusetts who think General Jeffrey Amherst had something to do with spreading smallpox among the Indian, and even worse some even think that he did that in Western Massachusetts.

I previously blogged about this at:
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...nd-the-Indians
    And there is an excellent article about the matter at:
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/27774278...n_tab_contents ...
  3. Trump? Who Cares?

by , 12-20-2016 at 10:09 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    There seems to be a line of thinking in America that leads toward monarchy. Many people are fascinated by monarchs and things that are regal. The British royal family are reported in the press almost as if they were the monarchs of the U.S.A., even through we dumped that bunch two hundred forty years ago. But many people like the pageantry, regalia, and odd customs that go along with monarchy. There are even some people in the U.S. who think that the president has monarchial powers. Unfortunately, ...
  4. Eternal Promise of AI

by , 12-09-2016 at 03:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    While writing about migration, both legal and illegal, I started thinking about Artificial Intelligence (AI) with respect to that. People have been writing about AI taking jobs from people for decades. The word robot itself was introduced in K. Čapek's play R.U.R. "Rossum's Universal Robots" (1920), and that play is about robots taking away jobs from people. In 1950 Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut was published, and that novel was about automatic machinery taking jobs from people. I ...
  5. Eternal Promise of AI

by , 12-09-2016 at 03:24 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    While writing about migration, both legal and illegal, I started thinking about Artificial Intelligence (AI) with respect to that. People have been writing about AI taking jobs from people for decades. The word robot itself was introduced in K. Čapek's play R.U.R. "Rossum's Universal Robots" (1920), and that play is about robots taking away jobs from people. In 1950 Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut was published, and that novel was about automatic machinery taking jobs from people. I ...