View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. Judging

by , 10-14-2014 at 04:54 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It is rather common to hear comments criticizing people for being "judgmental". That came to mind yesterday, and I thought about it for a while. I decided that there is nothing wrong with judging.

Consider that we have to make value decisions about people and things constantly. If we didn't, then something would kill us rather soon. Granted there are different sorts of judging, but the basic deciding factor is the same. Whether we are determining the value of an idea or ...
  2. Gilding the Lily

by , 10-17-2014 at 07:22 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have wondered about tattoos and similar things that distract, or detract, from someone’s personal appearance. I suppose that people who are especially ugly have good reason for wanting people to look at the eighty five piercings, rather noticing that you are uglier than a deformed warthog, But I have noticed otherwise not bad looking people with tattoos and/ or piercings. I realize that these things are fashions, and that a fair number of people have only a piercing through the septum, so that ...

Updated 10-19-2014 at 10:15 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Music Induced Hearing Loss

by , 10-23-2014 at 09:06 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was reminded again today that I didn’t destroy my hearing by listening to over-amplified music. It was just a jazz trio, but they put out enough noise to cause pain. This wasn’t the first time when I have suffered from loud music, and it isn’t my fault. Musicians usually have hearing loss from loud noise. This study says that “professional musicians are almost four times more likely to suffer noise-induced hearing loss than other people.” http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...ng-loss-n93981. ...
  4. The Real Conspiracy

by , 10-25-2014 at 10:18 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was thinking about conspiracies, propaganda, and who or what would be engaging in them. Conspiracy theory lovers often mention the Illuminati and the New World Order, but both are very much in the Classical Liberal tradition and wouldn’t deliberately lie. The Bilderberg Conference is cited as a planning forum for various nefarious schemes, but the actual facts belie that. The Rothschild family is mentioned, but they only go for the money, and harming potential customers is bad for business. Then ...
  5. Who Are Modern Humans

by , 10-27-2014 at 09:27 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    It might simply be that most of the magazine articles that are written about evolutionary anthropology are written by journalists who don’t know much about evolutionary Anthropology, but I still find it annoying to read things like this article about genetic evidence of interbreeding between so-called modern humans and Neanderthals around sixty thousand years ago. http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...g-habits-video The basic ...