View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Marching Morons

by , 09-22-2018 at 02:04 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In the early 1950’s the great author Cyril M. Kornbluth wrote Marching Morons, a novella about a future society where the overwhelming majority of humans are morons, high end, but morons nonetheless. The world was actually run by the small percent of people of great intelligence and patience who ran everything and gave the morons the illusion that they were doing things.

The people who ran things eventually decided to make life easier and reduce the population by sending the plebeians ...
    Tags: kornbluth, satire
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Philosophy and Science of Time Travel

by , 09-12-2018 at 10:22 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Those of us in the Time Travel business frequently encounter people who are dubious about the possibility of Time Travel at other than the traditional rate, even though we having been using time travel for centuries, and the theoretical possibility was discovered long before that. Apparently, they have the idea that time has a sort of solid existence the way that matter appears to be solid (but that’s for another time). Time, like space, is separation. Space separates pieces of matter, while time ...

Updated 09-12-2018 at 10:26 AM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Equal Before the Law

by , 08-29-2018 at 10:10 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I am shocked that young people haven’t already stood up and demanded their rights under the Fourteenth Amendment. Young citizens of the United States of America fairly often take to the streets to demand something for someone, but I don’t recall them demonstrating to demand their own rights. I didn't even think about it when I was a young college student and drinker, but having a minimum age for buying and using alcohol is a clear violation of the Equal Protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment ...
  4. Pseudo-Science

by , 08-23-2018 at 02:31 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I have observed that while most people choose purely (or mostly) mental constructs as the objects of their religious type thinking to believe without evidence, and there is an advantage in opting for the non-physical, because there is discernable evidence that might show you are wrong, and one can think without the restrictions of rules of logical and evidence. But people have put forth many things that simply are not true and claimed that they were scientifically true, even though there is physical, ...
  5. The Ideal of Government

by , 08-11-2018 at 02:52 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Thomas Hobbes was right. On a fundamental level government is an agreement among the governed to cede some of their personal rights and autonomy in exchange for government providing a framework within which the people governed can more readily and safely carry of heir lives than they could without government. The government provides rules and basic services, such as roads and such, and the people governed pay for the services with a small and equitable service fee called taxes.

In ...