View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Classical Languages

by , 09-30-2022 at 05:57 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was conversing with a woman who is a university senior in premed, n d it came out that she has never studied either Latin or Greek. I can understand that lack for business majors, but people in the sciences need to have a fair knowledge of Latin and at least some Greek. It wasn’t long ago, when one could not be admitted to college without a working knowledge of both languages. The requirement for knowledge of Greek was dropped in the late nineteenth century, when colleges were overwhelmed by men ...
  2. Looking Forward by Looking Back

A little something for our Thursday at Two Poetry group today, a week after a week's postponement due to the Mosquito Fire threatening our foothill communities... at least it gave me something to write about... lol ?

Our challenge was something in the form:
    aaa bbb ccc ddd... so, tercets with a rhyme scheme, or some such. Hope I got it right:

[indent]Evacuation 9/8/2022 (Mosquito Fire)

Spent a few nights away from the Divide
    Wife on holiday;
    Categories
  3. Continued

by , 09-15-2022 at 09:33 PM (Barmy Blue's Bland Blog)
    This follows from part 1

They're sealed up the roof. Re set/replaced tiles. There was a broken one in the picture. and replaced the front guttering. And our roof tile disappeared. (there's been a spare roof tile in the front garden since I was young. Originally it was used to prop up an extension to the down pipe but it doesn't really work for that so we just left it next to the pipe) It went missing. I'm a little sad about it because it's always been there but I had thought of letting ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. When It Rains It Pours. Literally

by , 09-15-2022 at 09:28 PM (Barmy Blue's Bland Blog)
    I've had things to note since last time but I wanted to sit in silence for a while. And then the big thing happened and it seemed inappropriate but maybe better to write now than later.
    I don't want to talk about my dog yet except for one thing. It was still Summer and it hadn't rained for quite some time. When...the deed was done it rained. heavily but not for too long. It either started just as it was done but I'm pretty sure it was a little after while we were spending some time with.......the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. "It's always something" - Roseann Roseanna Danna

Well... getting ready to evacuate due to the Mosquito Fire here in the Gold Country. Large smoke plumes very visible and our neighboring town of Georgetown, CA is already under evacuation orders... we're about 5 miles as the crow flies away, but fires up here move with tremendous speed in our drought stricken, heat wave infested area - up to 20 miles a day in a worst case scenario..

We haven't received an advisory here yet, but getting prepared.

Luckily my wife is
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast