View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Political Correctness: Correct Per Order of The Central Committee

by , 11-10-2015 at 04:51 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Politically correct
    1. Marked by or adhering to a typically progressive orthodoxy on issues involving especially ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or ecology.
    Politically correct
    Adjective
    demonstrating progressive ideals, esp. by avoiding vocabulary that is considered offensive, discriminatory, or judgmental, esp. concerning race and gender PC
    Word Origin and History for politically correct
    First attested in prevailing current sense 1970; abbreviation ...

Updated 08-08-2016 at 01:42 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. books by my bed

What I just read: "House of Mirth" by E. Wharton;
    What I'm just beginning to read: "The Loss of El Dorado" by V.S. Naipaul.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Eliminating Ignorance

by , 11-07-2015 at 07:44 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    One Scintilla At a Time

Earlier today I saw the headline: “New York is investigating Exxon Mobil for allegedly misleading the public about climate change.” My comment when I shared it on Facebook was: “I'm glad I'm not paying for this witch-hunt, because nothing will be proven, but it is possible that it will be shown how questionable some of the so-called science is.” But this is nothing compared to some reporting on actual scientific papers.

For one example, you ...
  4. Good, What Is It?

by , 11-03-2015 at 08:20 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    After writing a little about Cynicism I started wondering about good and virtue, as used in relation to the Cynics. What are they, and should we care? That's what happens when one thinks about Ancient Greek philosophy.

So what is "good"? There are many books by noted philosophers that comment on that question. Personally, I don't think there is a good definition, unless one circumscribes the word with so many conditions that it means barely anything. What's good for whom? ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Unusual request

I've tried advertising in the past in other venues, but no luck so far. I'm interested in finding a spokesperson [literally?] or performing avatar to recite my poetry in public settings. I'm a terrible presence, and my declamatory talents are weak. You don't need to be in the DC area--any exposure is decent exposure! Anyway, if you are a bored actor or actress and you love reciting in clubs, this might work for you.
    Categories