View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Institutionalized Ignorance

by , 01-14-2019 at 05:13 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few days ago I was horrified to read the James Watson, Nobel Laureate for having discovered DNA, is being condemned for having made comments that are alleged to be racist; although there has been no inquiry into the veracity of his comments.

Specifically, Doctor Watson is cited as having said, “There’s a “difference on the average between blacks and whites on IQ tests,” he said. “I would say the difference is ... genetic.” He also said he took no joy in his conclusion. The situation ...
  2. Regarding Stupidity and Homelessness

by , 06-08-2016 at 01:56 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    A few days ago I started a thoughtful and detailed blog on the problem of homelessness in the U.S.A., its causes, and suggestions for correcting the problem. After considering the matter more carefully, I realized that I was wasting my time, because the fundamental problem is stupidity, plain and simple. I realize that this is somewhat oversimplified, but when we get down to the nitty-gritty that’s what’s there. But I will admit to over-generalizing. I am somewhat familiar with the homeless population ...
  3. Singularity

by , 10-01-2014 at 05:09 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I’ve been writing and thinking about the Age of Reason (the Enlightenment) recently, and that brought to mind Humanism, one of the philosophical movements that led to the Age of Reason, and that brought to mind the Singularity that Ray Kurzweil has talked about. I realized that I didn’t know exactly what he meant only very general terms.

I just looked for more detail and discovered that it appears that there aren’t many details about the singularity just a general idea that at some ...
  4. Grammar of Living

by , 02-23-2014 at 03:16 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Once again I have noticed a lack of understanding of logic tripping someone up. I’m beginning to think that few people have any understanding for logic, even though it is central to the understanding of human speech, as just one example. I have had little training directly in logic, but it has been part of many things that I have learned, including grammar and mathematics. Perhaps some people don’t take their lessons in math and apply it to other aspects of life. And some people seem to have trouble ...

Updated 02-23-2014 at 03:52 PM by PeterL

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12