View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Turn Back Time

by , 06-29-2022 at 10:49 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Up until a few decades ago, women controlled everything, and they did so by indirection. They did not hold top positions in government or business, at least not for the most part, and they didn’t control through government or business. They controlled through nature.

From a young age, women, girls even, learned and still learn that they must control themselves, and that might be why they develop a lack of self-confidence by age eight. Maybe they realize how difficult it will be to ...
  2. Ignorance Over All Else

by , 06-21-2022 at 04:46 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    I was going to write about the predilection of people in scientific positions to ignore facts and follow things that were common beliefs before the science was discovered. Then I saw a column from the Boston Globe regarding a push to change the name of George Washington University, because George Washington had owned slaves, and that reminded me of the move by ignorant bigots to give “reparations” to people whose ancestors may have been slaves.

I understand the disapproval of slavery, ...
  3. Sustainable population

by , 06-04-2022 at 09:29 AM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    In addition to the pressure on farmland by the rising population, the amount of arable land that could be lost to oceans as sea level rises with further global warming is huge, and low-lying lands are some of the most fertile.
    If all glacial ice melted, then it is estimated that sea level would rise 230 feet. Since the last glacial maximum, sea level has risen about 400 feet, but different sources give a variety of figures. It has been estimated that sea level will rise by about twenty feet ...
  4. How to Complain

by , 05-18-2022 at 01:06 PM (Memories of the 28th Century)
    Recently, I have experienced people complaining in ineffective ways. They had real, legitimate complaints to make, but they presented the complaints in ways that would insure that they would be ignored. In my youth I learned to expressing unhappiness and persuading people to change something to make it more acceptable to me are two different things.

Expressing unhappiness by screaming at someone may give some personal satisfaction, but it is unlikely to get the target of the rant ...
  5. Quotes on Peace: Sri Ramana Maharshi, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.

First ones are Sri Ramana Maharshi:
    ‘There are no impediments to meditation. The very thought of such obstacles is the greatest impediment.’

‘It is you who should see the sun. Can spectacles and the sun see for you? You yourself have to see your true nature. Not much aid is required for doing it!’
    ‘Wanting to reform the world without discovering one’s true self is like trying to cover the world with leather to avoid the pain of walking on stones and thorns. It is much ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized