Blog Comments

I didn't take sleeping pills, but they may be necessary for deep sleep in a hospital. But havinga patient knocked out with drugs would be inconvenient, because such patients couldn't roll over to make it more convenient for the nurse to take blood, or do whatever.

Since then I have usually gotten adequate sleep.
    Wow, what an ordeal you had...
    And they make jokes about "Wake up, sir, it is time for your sleeping pill" -- getting rest in a hospital sounds like an impossibility!
    Glad that you are home now, and you can catch up on that badly needed rest.
    Yes. being able to sleep anywhere is a very useful skill, and I learned that decades ago, but didn't include learning how to tolerate loud television at 4 AM or an equipment alarm going off, because I tried to roll over or being stuck in the arm for a blood sample.

I usually fall asleep when hurricanes are going through, because they had pressures as low as 28 inches. Being to able to lower atmospheric pressure would be useful, because it tends to lower blood pressure, which leads to sleep. I don't remember what airliner cabins are pressurize to, but it is lower than normal low altitude pressure.
    Updated 05-17-2018 at 02:28 PM by PeterL
    Dear Peter

If I might be simplistic, one is either a day person, or a night person.

I am the former, my wife the latter.

10 pm and I'm finished, but have no problem getting up at 3 am.

In my earlier years I was obliged at one stage to become a security guard, patrolling a brewery near Heathrow Airport. 12 hour shifts / 3 days day shift / 1 day off / 3 days night shift.

The night shift nearly killed me. I was like a zombie, fell into bed, fell out of bed. Eating and a social life was secondary.

The only long term benefit was it taught me how to sleep anywhere, being so tired. I could sleep in a chair, on the table, on a piece of cardboard on a concrete floor.

Thus later in life when my circumstances had vastly improved I was called upon to undertake long plane journeys ( 12-15 hours). Some of my colleagues complained of not being able to sleep on a flight. Me, no problem, remembering my earlier conditioning.

Mind you, after a couple of glasses of champaigne, a good meal, accompanied by red wine and finished off with a good French brandy "vieux et superiour" anyone could sleep 8 hours at 40,000 feet!!
    And I just found this article, which may explain why I still want my sleep back.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-44113414
    Thank-you, tailor and desiresjab, for your feedback.
    What we actually are is spirit beings having what could be called a "human experience" here on a small insignificant planet called Earth. There is
    actually no such thing as Humanity that exists in absolute reality, only in the illusional relative reality does such a thing actually "seem" to exist.
    What we term to be humanity or mankind, is actually really meaning vehicles or as I term them "spacesuits" for the indwelling soul, or spirit if
    you prefer that term. Our physical bodies, biological computers,are just and ONLY vehicles that are used by the indwelling spirit, so that it can
    gain purchase in this dense and slow vibrational field. Because of our vast ignorance into who we really are, this world is in the sorry and almost
    bankrupt state it is now in. Our true and eternal identity is that we are all spirit FIRST LAST AND ALWAYS, and secondly vehicles, called mistakenly
    humanity.
    To be continued,
    Warmest regards Michael.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    I noticed your lack of activity and I am glad you are almost well again. This is about the funniest thing I ever read in this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_paws
    Interesting.
    I like what you said -- that: "we are souls with bodies FIRST ... not bodies with souls"
    Many thanks for your input here kiz paws I am grateful you took the time, therewill be lots more to come,
    I have another blog on site located at xxxxxbbb.blogspot.co.uk called soul realization. if you are interested.

warmest regards Michael.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_paws
    One never knows what to expect when visiting your Blog, lol.
    First of all, I am sorry to hear that you were experiencing serious medical issues, and do hope you are well on the mend, Peter.
    Second of all, your narrative had me chuckling... things described as only YOU can.
    Take care, my friend.
    It seems to be over, except for the completion of healing of a small incision. It was only one of these. http://zarinslab.stanford.edu/public...A_pmj_2009.htm

Do you have an opinion on hospital johnnies, or whatever they use in Canada, assuming that patients wear anything.
    One never knows what to expect when visiting your Blog, lol.
    First of all, I am sorry to hear that you were experiencing serious medical issues, and do hope you are well on the mend, Peter.
    Second of all, your narrative had me chuckling... things described as only YOU can.
    Take care, my friend.
    Interesting.
    I like what you said -- that: "we are souls with bodies FIRST ... not bodies with souls"
    They really worked you out. I am always amazed at the amount of good music I am not familiar with.
    Busy week... Kudos !!!

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    A very vague one and not exactly a list. I would love to travel to several countries of South America and Europe.
    I also subscribe to item 5. of Manicheamīs list!
    Hey Danik, no problem. Blogs are for conversation, too.
    What about you? Do you have a Bucket List?
    Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN
    If you Google "life expectancy" you will find there a formula that roughly determines how long you have got before you kick the bucket ( e.g. current age, smoker status, any heart problems, exercise status, weight, height, waist measurement etc).

In my case it appears that I can look forward to another 9 years.

Thus in order to answer your original question, my bucket list is as follows:

1. To graduate beyond short story writing & come up with a book I can be proud of.
    2. Learn how to cook a biriani dish.
    3. Holidays in: Palermo, Istanbul, Kerala & Rio. I already got Athens & Bangkok off my list last year.
    4. To outlive Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones. We are both originally from London, went to the same university, and have only one month difference in age.
    5. To love and laugh and cry until the very end.
    6. To be buried at sea in a gold coffin, thereby overcoming the saying that " You can't take it with you."
    Thank you, MANICHAEAN, for your thoughts. Great list, and I had to chuckle at that last one! *smiles*
    I see you got the idea, Manichean.
    I know you are used to all kinds of scenarios, but even the people from Rio arenīt used to whatīs happening there now.
    Regards,
    Danik
    Thanks for the warning Danik.

Perhaps its because I've worked, or visited some rather dangerous places, ( Saudi, South Africa, Papua New Guinea) over the years, that I actually get a kick from it. Having to be more streetwise and sharpen up your senses makes me feel more alive. It also improves your writing!!

Even holiday wise, I prefer places like Kingston, Jamaica that are vibrant and have an undercurrent of danger, as opposed to some dull beach in Spain. In Rio I would limit myself to where I felt comfortable, and certainly would not walk around like a tourist flashing money and wearing expensive watches, rings etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast